New Hustler

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by yote, May 6, 2005.

1. yote

yote LawnSite Member

My new Huster is supposed to be delivered to my home today.

I've done a lot of research and was at first considering all brands including Hustler, Dixie Chopper, Bob Cat, Grasshopper and Exmark. Since I'm not a pro and only intend on cutting my 4 acres with it any of them would probably do the job for me, but one thing I noticed is the level of customer support people in this forum receive. Any mower will have problems, but it seems that the folks here that have had problems have gotten extremely good customer support from mowerconsultant as well as their local dealers. I must say after talking to dealers for all of the brands mentioned above, the Hustler dealer really put my mind at ease and was the most willing to work with me to find exactly what I wanted.

I ended up with a Hustler Z with the 27 HP Kohler and a 60" deck. This machine may be overkill for what a lot of folks would want for regular homeowner use, but with my job I sometimes have to go two weeks without mowing so I wanted something that would put the smack down on the grass.

2 small things for mowerconsultant... (getting a little ahead of myself since I haven't mowed with it yet, but....)

1. The documentation lists the torque for the 27 HP Kohler as 32.7 ft lbs...shouldn't that be 42.7?
    2. The unit I'm getting has the old style deck. The dealer is going to cut the deck to match the new specs, but suggested I leave the blades as is. Is it possible the old style deck already has the correct spacers and blades? Is there an easy way to tell by looking or should I just mow with it and see what happens?

I'll update after I've mowed with it to give my opinion on it. I have about 10" of tall fescue to break it in with since I haven't mowed in 2 weeks!

yote

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Excellent choice !

Change the blades, as I've no doubt PJ will tell you.

Enjoy!

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 27hp Kohler has 42.7 ft lbs of torque.
    If the deck has the smaller opening, then it has the old blades, I would have the dealer install the new blades and the spacer kit.

Pj

4. yote

yote LawnSite Member

See that's the thing... the deck did have the smaller opening and at his suggestion, I let him cut the deck to match the pictures I've seen on this forum. He said that he would recommend leaving the blades as is so I took his advice. When his wife (the co-owner of the business) delivered the mower, I asked her and she said that they have not gotten the spacers and blades in yet, but if I was unhappy in any way with the current blades to check back with her in a few weeks and she'd have the spacer kit and new blades installed... so I guess it's a win win for me :)

I mowed and I must say that's the "mowenest" thing I've ever sat my bottom on. I cut about 10" of tall, lush fescure down to 4" and even with the learning curve of learning how to operate the new machine I was able to cut it in less than half the time. I'm very happy with my new Hustler! :)