New Hybrid Bluegrasses

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lilmarvin4064, Oct 14, 2005.

1. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

There's some new bluegrass on the market, a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass and Texas Bluegrass. Lesco's is called Longhorn Hybrid, and Scotts is called Thermal Blue. From what I hear, you get all the benefits of bluegrass and supposedly are MORE resistant to heat, drought, and disease than TTTF. They sound very good, but are expensive.

Anyone try it yet, or plan on trying it out?

2. planted some in spring of 2004, held up wqell, use in my mix

3. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

That kinda makes no sense... to me anyway... How can a bluegrass be more hardy or more resistant to moisture loss than TTTF? Bluegrass has roots that really only penetrate the top layer of soil by spreading rizhoms "spelling", how can that compete with the deep root growth of TTTF? or Dwarf type tall fescue

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Scotts sells it as Thermal Blue. Thermal Blue is 91% Tall Fescue and 9% Bluegrass. I was told that Lesco's blend is 15% Bluegrass.

The idea is having the Bluegrass spread via rhizomes where the Fescue becomes thin. The concept is to provide a more dense stand to avoid the need for overseeding each year. In this area, we lose a percentage of Fescue plants during the harsh Summer conditions.

One of my customers asked for this type this Fall, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I am still somewhat skeptical about the Bluegrass, as it was developed in a part of Texas where humidity is generally lower than what you see in the Southeastern states.

5. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

It seems like false advertising. It isn't that the bluegrass is more hardy for the drought conditions by itself and is a 100% KBG, it is just mixed with 91%TTTF. Ultimately, it is a TTTF stand, not bluegrass from what I read on the website. I am skeptical myself about the long term results, it seems to be a marketing pitch more than functionality. You never know, time will tell.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly what I think about it as well. They did heavy advertising of this product on the radio in my area. Most thought it was something new, when really it isn't.

7. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

I personally wouldn't want to explain the long thicker blades of grass to someone that has a good stand of KBG. In the long run, it could work out for the LC industry, lots of renovations to do for the unsuspecting consumer.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

So in other words, it is also the same thing as Lesco's Teammates Plus.

9. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

No Way!!! This is Scotts Thermal Blue. This is a cutting edge genetic variation that is innovative and new to the industry. It will revolutionize lawn care as we know it.

For the non-sarcastic answer, I think so but without the pretty bag.

10. ninrocket

ninrocket LawnSite Member

Your wrong. Thermal Blue is a genetic variation. It is NOT 91% Fescue and 9% Bluegrass.

There is a mixture called Heat Tolerant Blue that they sell. This is more likely what you're referring to.

Click HERE and read an article that should clarify this point.

I personally have a pure Thermal Blue lawn and it looks great. I have people stop by on average once per week and ask what type of grass I have. I sodded it in the first week of August in Atlanta, GA area. It was 95 degrees. My lawn has full sun.

The only problem I have had is crabgrass and goosegrass. I haven't used any herbicides because I wanted to make sure the sod was established first. I think I will hit it with preemergents around March 1st pretty heavy and hopefully it will reduce the problem.