New idea for doubles combinations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jul 21, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Has anyone ever tried using a wavy mulching blade with a gator on top? Or a regular lift blade with a wavy mulching blade on top?
    How did it go?
    Thanks.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Only a high-lift with the mulching on top for thick and wet grass. I have one set of mulching blades that have virtually no lift at all, also. I have no idea where I got them, now. For leaves, it's always highlifts with Gators on top. I have never ran the gators on bottom, because I figured then the top blade would partially interfere with the path that the sharpened fins travel through - therefore partially defeating the purpose.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You sharpen those wings on the gators? I was always told they didn't actually cut the grass but they directed the clippings down into the long cutting edge to be recut. I've always thought if they're only 1/4" off plane it wouldn't make alot of difference which one is on top but I've always put the gator on top so the lift one is lowest, therefore getting better suction. Ok so the 1/4" might make a difference to me after all LOL. On a fixed deck mower when mowing at 3.5" you have to have your blades set high in the deck, which means every 1/4" lower your lifting blade is counts alot!

4. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I use the Scag wavy mulchers on top and regular lift on the bottom on my Tiger Cub. I've tried high lifts with straight gators but the combo that I use now from scag seem to give better performance with less drag on the motor.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

right now we are trying high lifts on the bottoms and magnum gators on the top. Doesn't work that great. We have noticed a big decrease in horsepower.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, it CAN be alot of drag on the motor, especially if those blades are the thicker, heavier ones. I try to look for the lighter ones all the time, but they're getting harder to find, it seems. To answer the question about sharpening the slats in the Gators, generally, no. I don't, but I have before. I just filed the sides so they were square, and made the points more jagged. Does this make a significant difference? Beats me!:rolleyes: I like to THINK it may, but who knows...they are only used with leaves, anyway. Many leaves are different, as well.