1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new in 2004

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dan the mowing man, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Dan the mowing man

Dan the mowing man LawnSite Member

Hi guys Ive been reading your advice on many subjects and appreciate all of your helpful advise.I will be starting my business in the spring.I've been doing a lot of mower research.I found a 48 inch ztr ferris 21hp kaw for $5500 or a 48 inch hydro wb 17hp kaw with a velky for $3000 . The only problem is the dealer is in wisconsin and I'm in michigan.The nearest dealers are a $1000 more on any brand of mower except scags tiger cub which costs $6000 . My only worry is that my local dealer will not service my equipment or will do it poorly. What would you do?
  2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Try to establish a good relationship with a local dealer. That will be more important to you down the road than saving $1000.00 right now. A dealer that stands behind their products and gives good service and support is very valuable in this business.
  3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Dan,
    How "new" to the business are you? Just curious to how dedicated to the business you are at right now? I say this because it may be a better idea to try and start with something used a bit cheaper, and see how it goes. Then grow little by little and buy bigger and better when you see the need. This way if it doesn't work out, the debt you may incur will be much less.
    Just my advice, but like I said, I didn't know how gung ho you were. I tried it this way and am glad I did. I think it would have been helpful to buy the best of the best in my case, because I am sticking with the business, but I appreciated the fact that if I decided to not continue on, then I would not be out that much.

4. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

When we started out we didnt go out and spend 5000.00. We started out slow and made purchases as we needed that was 13 years ago . so becareful in what you do theres a lot of lco out there...
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Walkbehinds are pretty much bullitproof. The design has been around for years and years. They usually don't have much go wrong with them.

If I was going to buy a Z I would really think hard about using a closer dealer that you can get to. Me personally I would negotiate with a close dealer and try to get some better prices for both mowers. I would buy any mower from a dealer, but if I was looking to save some money it would only be buying the w/b out of town, not the Z.