New in business - Commercial

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by islanderlawn, Dec 11, 2003.

1. islanderlawn

islanderlawn LawnSite Member

New in business, just bought a very small company with 2 small commercial accounts. Any suggestions or tips on how to grow in the commercial industry?

Suggestions please.

All equiptment is new:
    Dixie 50
    Exmark wlk bhnd 48
    3 stihl 420 blwrs
    3 stihl weed eaters
    2 stihl edgers
    chain saw
    400 lb. fertilizer mchn.
    huge 18*8 trailer - new

:waving:

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that the commerical industry is one of the hardest to market to. Because first of all, they are on a tight budget, yet they want the business to look good to the public and their customers.

I have personally marketed that much to commerical customers just because of what I stated above. It's always very hard to try to sell additional services do to the run around of the management. You have to almost get it approved through 2+ people before being allowed to go ahead.

The one thing that I have noticed about commerical customers is that they want to know that someone is going to be dependable. So if you can market to them about depenability, you will already have your foot in the door

3. islanderlawn

islanderlawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestion, to this date the 2 accounts that I have, have stated that they have never worked with some who cares so much about the work they do. I provided them with a yearly schedule and the exact date that I would be working on that property, except when it rains, then I work the following business day.

I have talked to several people, and just like you said, it is very hard to get commercial accounts.

I have slowly started to do residential homes for the mean time or until the commercial part of the business can start making a profit.

Again thanks for the reply.

4. Nw. Shadesofgreen

Nw. Shadesofgreen LawnSite Member

As Tideman says, it is a harder market to get into. Sometimes it takes alotofknocking on doors and making phone calls to property management companies.
    I did this on Thursday just to see if a few weretaking bids for next season. One told me of two large HOA that they are taking bids on. She said to gethtem to her quick, they will be delivered asap on Monday.
    As it turns out I have driven by both of these properties and sort of know how they should come out.
    Good luck and remeber Just ask if they are accepting bids for any of there properties. The worst they can say is NO and that won't kill you. Just pick your self back up and dust off and call another company. Someone will finally say Yes.
    Noe as Nike says Just Do It.

Mike

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -