1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New in business, equipment questions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Mountain, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Big Mountain

Big Mountain LawnSite Member

i was a part time mower last year, this year i am going full time. I plan to cut 30 to 40 yards, mainly residential per week by myself. i need to purchase new equipment and would like some input.

is it better to go with a good dealer and buy their equipment, or buy the best equipment from any dealer?

i need: stick edger, hand held blower, trimmer,: options at local dealers: echo, stihl, shindaiwa, red max.
    21" mower: honda or toro.
  2. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Just remember that the best equipment in the world isn't worth it if you can't get it serviced..So just make sure that your dealer keeps parts on hand and has a good service record...Most all the shindaiwa products are excellent, especially the trimmer..Also, I would skip the hand-held blower and pay a few extra bucks and get a backpack blower..The handheld has it's limits and you'll wish that you had bought a backpack..As far as the mowers, do you own a walk-behind..??If you don't, you would be better off with a good walk-behind instead of pushmower..Derrick
  3. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Good luck to you Big Mountain. I would just offer a word of caution, maybe the best thing to do would be to hold off on any big machine purchases until you know exactly what you need. Familiarize yourself with what's out there and pick the brains of these folks in here about equipment, they know their stuff. It may turn out for instance that you have primarily residential customers in which case you may need a 36" wb (getting through gates). If you hit a big commercial account and need a 48 or 52 just go buy it. Same for the rest. I just say this because I've seen alot of guys go out and fill their trailor in one day only to find out half way through the season that they have other needs. Once you take that big shiny mower off the dealers floor, whoops there goes a third of its value!
  4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Good points made here. Price is number 2 to me. Service after the sale is #1. I know I'm going to pay more at my dealer,but I also know if I have a problem, he will take care of me. My dealer carries Exmark,shindawia,dixie chopper,echo. He sets me up with what he feels will suit my paticular situation. He doesn't push one brand over another.Find a good dealer and stick with him. The best of luck to you and welcome to lawnsite.
  5. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

There is some good advice here. I might add that you will want to match your equipment to your jobs (there is no perfect mower that will do everything best), and regardless of temptation, only buy commercial equipment from a commercial dealer with a good service department.
  6. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

Go with the best you can aford. I like the honda and use Shindaiwa.
  7. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Start small with minimum debt.Go to auctions and buy equip.There is always someone getting out of the business.
  8. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

I would completly agree with the above person that stated to purchase equipment that is suited for your customers; you don't want to spend 6-10k on a Zturn rider and find out that it won't fix thought gates or spots on the properities that you have; I would recommend that you invest in a strong trimmer though you'll find that once you get good with it you'll use it for edging also and it will get a lot of work.