New in business, need mower reviews

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tomP, Apr 12, 2008.

1. tomP

tomP LawnSite Member

We've just started a small mowing business. We will start with about 20 lawns a week. Most are small residential lawns. We need a couple of mowers. I think I want to start with push mowers. Is it worth investing in the commercial mowers? Do you prefer Honda, Toro, Snapper or Exmark? I've heard we should avoid the Exmark 26", but would like a bigger deck than the 21" on at least one mower. Any suggestions?

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

As far a brand, I use Toro. I like the products and I have a good dealer relationship ( which is important for service). Size should not be less than a 36" walk-behind. Z-turns are great for wide open lots and increased production.

3. Raking-It-In

Raking-It-In LawnSite Member

As far as commercial goes here's a tip ! I am a fan of buying something once. now things get old and do brake but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about..your business will grow and you will be working your equipment harder and harder day by day ! COMMERCIAL ..nuff said! pay little more but you will be a happy camper for seasons to come.:cool2:

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest going with 1-2 32" or 36" Toro walk-behinds and 1-2 21'' mowers. If you are going to be changing cutting heights often I would suggest getting a floating deck but if you don't change heights very often I would go for the fixed deck. No matter what brand you choose to go with make sure you have a good dealer. I would suggest for you to go with any Toro or Exmark mower but again dealer support needs to be there.

5. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

if your looking to get it done try a Wright Stander 32" or bigger ... they would work good cause you'll have the productivity of a ZTR and yet a smaller foot print in your trailer. hope that helps

6. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Buy a quick 36. For the money they cannot be beat. If they come out with dual hydros, I will a fleet of them.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

what you need is a 21", 32", and a 36"

the 21 is for backyards with to small of a gate to fit a larger mower on.-Look at
    the toro commercial 21" mower.

the 32 is for when you have to guys mowing or if the 36 can't fit into the rear gate.- Look at the exmark metro 32"

the 36 is your baby and your workhorse. Get a dual hydro Exmark. I have a 36" Exmark Viking..and it's a beast for residential's...in and out in a flash....a tthp would be even better with the floating deck.

But whatever you buy..buy commercial grade!!

8. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a commercial grade Snapper or Toro.Make sure the dealer support is good too.

9. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely get commercial equipment. My little Lawn-Boy is almost a year old, but it's giving me signs that it wasn't made for what I'm doing to it. I can tell the self-propel isn't quite what it used to be, it's got some squeaks, and it sometimes needs more power. I'm pleased with the service it's given me already, though. I'll be getting a new belt for it soon to see if that helps the propel, and it might like a performance spark plug.
    I've read good and bad about the Exmark 26". From what I've seen, the older ones weren't that good, but Exmark fixed some of the complaints that people had with it. I'd consider it. I'd like to try one out to see how easy it handles and heavy it is.