new in FL need help am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jimbarn61, Oct 9, 2007.

1. jimbarn61

jimbarn61 LawnSite Member

I'm a newbie first post. be patient. Started in 2006 as mowing my in-laws out of respect. They then started paying me $125 monthly because they said they used to pay a service that much and the lawn never looked so good. within couple months neighbor offers $200 month and then another one and so on. I am now up to 6 accts. $200 monthly, and one at $125, yearly contracts billed monthly, mow, trim, edge and blow. anything else extra. I need to refine this a little so i'm trying to figure avg mows per year central fl. I'm guessing 40 -44 a year. Am I in the ballpark. I'm working only referrals on upscale residential and spend enough time to make the job RIGHT!! I want to add a few more accts. and mow three half days a week part time AS I just enjoy getting out of the office as I'm an insurance agent full time and need the stress relief. I don't want to be considered a scab or fly by night I just enjoy it part time but figure I might as well get paid for it and do it right if i'm going to do it.

Thanks Guys

06 silverado crew cab
    6x14 trailer
    07 scag 52"
    06 cub 42"
    21" ariens
    echo trimmer, edger, blower

2. GroundControlLawnCare

GroundControlLawnCare LawnSite Member

I do 40 for bohia lawns and 44 for st. agustiane. Also depends on if they have a irragation system.

3. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I do 42 for st. augustine. nov-march bi weekly. april-october weekly. And nice truck :)

4. jimbarn61

They are all st augustine floratam lawns with irregation, thanks for the replys and help

5. jimbarn61

I'm just a one man show with my 14 year old son when he's not busy with exrtra curricular activities. Also I was mowing every 5 days this summer june thru August because was growing way to fast.

6. jimbarn61

Also am I setting this up right with yearly contracts monthly bill mow,edge,trim blow. Anything else extra????

7. jbannick18

You should include everything you do on a spec sheet and have the contract sheet be seperate as well. I usually go ahead and offer hedges included in the price if they're small if not I classify them as extra work. Usually with residential you can do alot of the extra work face to face and don't really have to have it in print, unless you want to

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds good but I think you might be getting to where you might consider getting a business license and insurance, thou if you already have that then nevermind me.

9. jimbarn61

Already done. I'm an insurance agent full time and sold it to myself. license is also a no brainer. Thanks though for the reminder. Too many fly by the seat of their pants until too late then the whole industry gets black eye.

10. jbannick18

Don't work for cheap! :p