New In Texas

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Da/man, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Da/man

Da/man LawnSite Member

Hey guys, nice to meet you all.. This is a very informative sight and I am finding it very usefull. I am a newby here so feel free to give me some advice (dont be scared to be brutilly honest, ya wont hurt my feelings) to help steer me in the right direction. I am starting off in the spring, and the goal is to obtain 40 residential clients and 5 commercial ones before the end of the year. I am buying some commercial grade equipment later this week and am going to wait till mid feb. to begin pushing some advertising (door hangers and classified ads). Like I said any help, advice or anything would be greatly apreciated.. Good luck to all on the upcomming season..

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Welcome to LawnSite! Thats a great goal! 40 resi & 5 comm properties. Hope it happens! just dont get in to far over your head. did you get yourself business insurance yet? Are you going to be working solo? or do you have someone working with you?

3. Da/man

Da/man LawnSite Member

I am currently taking a few bids on ins., I am a one man show as of now. Just want to be my own boss from now on. I am a go getter (I hate patting myself on the back) and have a bad habit of always bieng over my head but luckely I always work things out. I have been doing a ton of research (forums, local commercial dealers and friends from other boards that do the same but in other parts of the country).. Looking foward to the challenge, worse case scenerio is I fail and am back at my old job but I just feel I got to try..

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Well, Good Luck !

5. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

are you strictly lawn or irrigation or both?

6. BanksPower

BanksPower LawnSite Member

How long have you been in business? Did you start-up during the last season or you just getting into things?

7. Da/man

Da/man LawnSite Member

I am going to be strictly lawn. This will be my first year so I will see how it turns out. Talked with another guy from Victoria who knew a few people who tried but they all said to much competition here. I still will give it a try. Hey Banks Poower what type of advertising in this area do you think works best? Dont worry I am not going to be out there trying to cut and slash prices for work, A mans got to make money in what he does.

8. BanksPower

BanksPower LawnSite Member

The local paper is a good starting point (Victoria Advocate). In the classifieds under lawn care in the service directory. You are not too late for the June 08 Yellow Pages. The cut off is Apr.1 and if you want my reps. number let me know. I have a friend that owns a print shop and he handles all of my business cards, shirts/logo, hats, signs, refrig. magnets and anything else you would want.
    As for the door hangers? That's your call- It really depends on what neighborhoods you target. I tried it about 10yrs. ago and not one call. Oh yeah a lady called me to say that I was trespassing and not to be soliciting....

9. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

Good luck and welcome to the site, there's plenty of work to go around! -TX Irrigator