new in the biz

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigd1634, Aug 29, 2006.

1. bigd1634

bigd1634 LawnSite Member

I am planning on starting next spring in Northern New Jersey. I could use all the info that I can get before I get started. I would like to know on average how many lawns you cut a week, how much to charge, length of the season, and what do you do in the winter(off cut season). I was thinking snow plowing/blowing, and fire wood delivery. Also what else do you need in New Jersey for a business like this.(license, insurance, etc.) I know that the start of the business will be rough but it will succeed in the long run with some hard work. If there is anything that I missed please let me know, or suggest some other stuff for me.

Thank you

2. Gemini1971

Gemini1971 LawnSite Member

Your first step is creating a business plan. You don't want to just "wing" it in this or any other serious business.

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Lotta questions...but...

I am solo. I have about 40 lawn customers. I cut 40/wk in spring, maybe 30/wk in summer/fall. Maybe 20 Dethatch jobs in Spring, about 20Aeration/Seeding in jobs in fall. Mulch maybe 15 or so in the spring. Maybe 20cleanups in fall. Shrub and tree stuff and small projects whenever and wherever.

I have another job for winter, but most guys around here plow.

4. bigd1634

bigd1634 LawnSite Member

Being new I would like to know how many customers you cut each day. I was going to estimate it at 8 per day, so 40 a week. I figure 30 minutes or so per cut, and 30 minutes of travel. Some could be a little more some a little less. I figure 8 cuts will be roughly 8 hours, 40 cuts a week means 40 hours a week. Plus some other time for equipment clean-up, prep, etc. Does this average sound right to everyone. Also I figure a charge of 30-40 a cut for the Northern New Jersey area? Thanks for the help.

5. guven

guven LawnSite Member

First Good luck , I am in North Jersey I started my business May 2005, I am solo also. First I read a lot about having business , You should visit
    www.state.NJ.us
    you can find everything about starting business. it is a state web page.
    I have 56 clients, most of them bi weeky, I have a couple under price yard, next year I am going to raise my price little bit.I do over 80 fall clean ups ,18 snow removal, I do not have plow I use big 13 hp snow blower and shovel
    you can make money if you do not do lowballing
    good luck again

6. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Well from the broad range of questions my best advice obtain some experiance, work in the industry gain knowledge. This way after a year of toting a trimmer in 90 degree weather you can make SURE this is what you want to do, while answering your questions.