New in the Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Military Lawns, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Comrades,
    I retired from the military after 21 years and now work for CSX railroad. It is really slow and I would like to start cutting yards mainly to compensate for spare time and make a little extra money while on down time. I have read all or should I say most of the pro's and con's. Trust me I have no intention on leaving my day job.

Question: Here in Florida (Orlando, Sanford and Deltona) we do not have much of a winter but on occasion it does get cold. Is now the best time to start a business or is it just a good time to put feelers out (business cards, flyer's and Internet site) in order to prepare for the spring and summer? I am not trying to do this full time but, I am a native of Florida and I love the outdoors (not afraid of hard work) plus, I know something about how grass grows because I cut enough St. Augustine (Flori tam) as a kid. I am thinking in the neighborhood of no more than 20 or 25 yards.

My equipment:
    48" Belt drive Toro W/B with the T-Bar w/sulkey (15 HP Kaw). Purchased this because I got tired of paying my lawn guy $35.00 a week to show up when he wanted to. Hey, not trying to put anyone out of business but this is a customer service oriented business, right?
    Stihl Blower
    Stihl Edger
    Stihl Trimmer
    21" Honda S/P mower
    Tools, etc.
    Single axle trailer with rakes and cage for tools, etc
    :usflag:

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

HooAhhh! troop, just retired from from FLARNG last year after a pleasent tour of Kabul Afghanastan. Spent more time on active duty with the guard then when I was on active duty. But to your question, now is a hard time to start. Most of my lawns have gone dormant and only need to get cut 2x a month. There is money in mulch and hedges now though. I use this time to square away my equipment and plan for an advertising blitz Feb 1st. Local flyer papers and major newspaper service directory work best. Door to door flyers are too much work , too little return. Use this time to get your rig set up.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

ericg likes this.
  3. Military Lawns

from Florida

Patriot Services,
    Army I see! Well my friends I will not hold that against you (US Navy Seabee). Spent sometime in both Afghanistan and Iraq so I do understand. Anyhow, thanks for the info and getting my "rig" together is just what I have been doing. Though I plan on remaining small, I bought all new equipment because I do not want any trouble right away. You spoke of a service guide, what kind specifically are you speaking of?

Again thanks for your service and information,

Military Lawns-

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think he meant the service directory - in the local newspaper. It DOES reach alot of people, and alot of people look at this. When I first started, this was a major key to me getting work.
    Also, I would just like to say two things. First of all, thank you ....to both of you, actually. And secondly, I would like to say welcome to the site. There is plenty of great information on here from both all-around experienced people, and people who are well versed in your region, as well.

5. Military Lawns

from Florida

Runner,
    Thanks for the input and I agree, this site is a plethora of information. I was up last night for a couple of hours just reading some of the threads.

Also, thanks for acknowledging our service to our country, it means a lot, especially in times like these (Afghanistan and Iraq).

ML

6. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to say Hi, and good luck! Thanks for your service.

7. Military Lawns

from Florida

Caruso,
    Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for the acknowledgement!

Take care,

ML

8. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

:waving: Just want to say thanks and welcome to the site too. Good luck in
    your buisness venture.:usflag: :usflag:

9. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to lawn site. Yes right now im also getting the rig set for season in 07. Now there is some work out there mainly people unhappy that there LCO hasnt showed up in over 3 weeks because the grass ain't really growing,not a lot but some. Would be better off waiting till feb. to hit it hard with advertising. Thanks for your courage wish the best in your endeavor.