New in the Business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, Apr 29, 2002.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Well guys Im new in the business and i was wondering about getting a new mower. I have quite a few customers and was looking at a 36" because of gates. My cousin has his own business and said to me that i should get a Scag belt drive for starting out. Whatdo you guys think of this? If you dont what should i go with?

Thanx

2. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

When I started out, I used a 36" Bunton belt drive for 35 accounts for 2 years and I was totally happy with it. Then when you start making good money you can start investing in better equipment. It all depends on how much you have to invest at the start of your business and how many accounts you will have. Its not worth spending 7K on a scag rider if you are only going to cut 20 residential lots, wait till you build up your business then start investing. Thats my opinion anyways.

Lasher66

3. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

SEARCH! there is numerous threads on this topic, personally i have a 36" deere hydro, and would not trade it for the world, but for hydro you pay the price, my next will be a belt drive to save $
    AK Lawn

4. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

My local scag dealer is offering it to me for 2499 thats a scag 36" belt drive with the advantage deck

5. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

i tink i remember someone saying you can get a toro belt 36 for 1900$ or less and have heard of other companies selling for that price, check into that, once again do a search!
    AK Lawn

6. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

toro's are going for around $2499.00 right now at a lot of places for a 36" with 12.5 Kawasaki.

7. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

Jhawk...I use the Scag 36 13 HP with advantage deck not because of gates but because of small yards that I do. I have the belt drive and use Jungle Wheels. I get an excellent cut and have not had any problems of any kind. I start mowing early while grass is still wet and have had no problems with belt slippage even on steep grades.

8. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Clm1103 How long have You had yours? How much did you pay? Also i was wondering about how steep of grades can it do because i have a customer that has a pretty steep hill and right now i cut it from side to side but i wanted to cut it up and down instead because it would look nicer.

9. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

Jhawk 71...I cut grades that are about 30 to 35 degrees. I don't go up and down because there are very deep lakes at bottom. I have had my Scag about a year now..

10. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Thanx how much did you pay for yours?