New installation issue

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Squirter, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I just had an irrigation system installed and wanted to ask a question in this forum before calling my contractor 911.

I am noticing a pooling of water around a few heads (Rainbird 1806-SAM) that are located at the lowest elevation on the property. The system seems to be working properly with the exception of the "pooling". Should I expect to see some of this condition...in light of the SAM'S???

Also, the contractor was not present during the entire installation and seemed to turn the job over to his crew. Upon completion (after they were gone), I noticed they used a combination of 1806-SAM-PRS and just plain ole SAM'S. The contract called for 1806-SAM-PRS used throughout. It's likely the PRS was not really necessary (overkill) but will a mix of SAM'S & SAM-PRS's present problems??? It's not what I bargained for...but....

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Either low head drainage or a leaking valve, more likely the former on a new system. Sounds like you got ripped. Take the cap and stem assembly off of one and see. Some people have noted the check valve comes loose during shipping and needs to be snapped back into place.

As far as the mixing, SAM's aren't needed throughout the system, just in locations where low head drainage is likely to occur. The PRS is something that should be used throughout the entire system.

Personally I could live with the mixing if they actually installed the SAM's where they should be, but the PRS should have been included.

Furthermore, if you spec'd 1806-SAM-PRS throughout the entire system, and that was written into the contract, then that is what I would expect to be installed unless negotiated otherwise during the installation. 1806-SAM-PRS are considerably more expensive than a standard 1806.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How much elevation (low point to high point) is there in the leaky zones? The whole property? Is there a mainline and a master valve in the system?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, there is that too. One would hope the contractor would have said something if the head exceeded the capability of the SAM.

5. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

The difference in elevation from low to high is maybe only 6'. The leaky heads are on two different zones but both are at the lowest elevation on the property. As for mainline and master valve....YES & YES.

By the way.....he has installed SAM'S everywhere. It's the SAM-PRS's that are not used everywhere. I am not sure what his water pressure measurements were....but I was told by the water company (prior to installation) that pressure was 60 psi. Did I fail to mention I am using MP Rotators throughout?

I agree, the written agreement was for SAM-PRS's throughout and what I ended up with was a mixed bag....but I question whether it will make a difference given ALL are SAM'S and too much pressure should not be an issue which would make PRS's un-necessary?

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps the stem is not retracting fully which would pretty much negate the check.

With respect to pressure, to maximize your DU with the MPRotators you should be supplied with roughly the same pressure to all the sprinklers within a zone. This is because rotation speeds vary with pressure.

http://www.mprotator.com/techCorner/rotationSpeeds.html

7. I have noticed on a few of my jobs that the MPs don't retract completely every time on my sam 1804s. I think the RB cap seal is a tad tight and unless the head can drop very quickly it will sometimes hang. At 60psi you do not want prs heads on the MP zones. Just on the spray zones.

8. What city are you in at zone 5?

9. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

All heads on all zones are MP Rotator. Indianapolis. Why?

10. Just wondering but you do not want MPs on prs heads. They like 45 to 55 psi and prs heads will knock them down into the 30psi area. Get your contractor on this forum and let him read these posts. If he is doing you wrong we'll flush him out. It may just be a case of bad communication between you two.