New irrigation installation being installed thursday, any advice?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ls3c6, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If your water supply isn't capable of drenching your lawn in a limited time period, that is not the installer's fault. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that three hours per zone per week might be needed to keep up with summer heat.

2. ls3c6

ls3c6 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

so should i get larger than a 5/8" meter installed right now before the system goes in to improve flow?

3. Wet_Boots

meters don't matter so much, in comparison to the waterline itself - most modern 5/8 meters are actually a 5/8~3/4 meter, with greater flow capacity in the small package

4. I've found changing from a 5/8" meter to a 1" makes a significant difference. Never understood this downsizing 1" service with a 5/8" meter. If the fulls are designed head to head with Halves and Qs then mixing fulls with hs and qs isn't that big of a deal. 2qs +2hs +1 full is 15 gpm. Sounds like the guy who designed this knows what he's doing. No need to come up with a bunch of second guessing. I'd use different products and LA nozzles but his design seems safe. You may have weeks where you need to put more than 1' per week. That is just a weekly average over the whole year but water is required in a bell curve fashion over a whole season. The SL800 is 8 zones right? You won't have an issue getting the water put down in a safe window.

5. Wet_Boots

Unlike in Texas, there's a long run of supply pipe from the street to the house to factor in. Just how long, we don't know yet.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Your getting too worked up with your 1" a week blah blah blaw. The desried end result is green grass. Dont lose sight of that.

7. Wet_Boots

In our current summer heat waves the one-inch-a-week settings have been left far behind, if you want that shiny green lawn.

8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I have some shitti systems that I took over that the landscaper is running an hour a zone every day to make up for lack of coverage.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. All the more reason to have a 1" meter

10. Wet_Boots

Simply not relevant, if the supply line loses more than 20 psi, especially if they have surcharges to pay for the bigger meter.

You can find some industry tables for what you can get from different meters and supply lines. It's apparent the supply line is the major factor, especially when you see the combos of one-inch meters and larger supply lines.