New Irrigation Tech. Van

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Mar 29, 2006.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, this year I finally decided to hire a FT irrigation tech. That is, someone in our company who sole, full-time job is just to go out and repair irrigation systems.

No Install. Just repair.

He's been off doing system start-ups and repairs for about 3 weeks now. It's been working out very well.

Here's the Van I bought and how I converted it to work with our company colors and logo. (See attached photos)

RightSideBeforeA.jpg

RightSideAfterA.jpg

2. JimLewis

Here are two more sets of pictures....

BackSideBeforeA.jpg

BackSideAfterA.jpg

3. JimLewis

We're going to put a pipe rack on top too. Just haven't had a chance to get that done yet.

The inside is cool too! It came already with shelves inside. So it was the perfect set-up. We just painted and lettered it and then filled it with parts. And Viola! We were off and running.

Any guesses how much it all cost me?

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

sweet.
    vans are the way to go for irrigation work.
    congrats on the expansion..

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Way cool Jim! Now you just need to wait for the Oregon plates? :laugh:

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

"Sprinkler Sytem MOBILE Repair"
    You mean people don't dig it up and take it to you for repairs? Just kidding with you. I've told people that have complained about price or how long before we can get there, that I'll do it sooner and cheaper if they bring the entire system to me. Had a few hang ups from that comment.

I thought about vans this winter, also going to smaller, more efficient 2 wheel drive pick ups. But both the work trucks I have are paid for, and running. About 185k miles on each though. So I'm going to try for another season with them, even if they are not the best situation for service vehicles.

I may need to look for another though, I MIGHT have found another service tech. He does have some limited install experience, no troubleshooting exp. though. I can train that. And I've known him for a long time, and can trust him. Long time buddy of my employee.

7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

i'll post some pictures of my vans shortly

8. JimLewis

Here, let me save you the effort. I've been saving this picture for a year or two as inspiration. I only wish my company trucks had a white base paint. Sooo many more options with white as the base. With red, it took me and my designer a while to come up with some graphics that even looked decent.

Here's a picture of Koster's killer vans. I wish mine looked THIS nice.

00093305.jpg

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Jim, I'm guessing ballpark of $1200 for the van, plus $500 for paint?

We have 3 trucks, and one ambulance type van.

All are painted green and lettered.

10. JimLewis

Hey Koster, where do you get those killer van racks? That's just the kind I am looking for.

Also, do you think the "certified" logo helps any? I just got my tech. certified via the Irrigator Training School a few weeks ago. I was thinking about adding something about being certified on the side of our van too. But I was kind of doubting that it really mattered to most people.