1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Irrigation Tech. Working Very Well

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Jul 26, 2006.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I posted a message earlier in the season about our new irrigation tech. van. For the first time, this year, I hired a Full Time Irrigation tech. I wasn't sure how this would work out. I wasn't sure we'd be able to keep him busy for 40 hours each week - just doing repairs.

Boy was I wrong! He's always working 40-50 hours each week and is always booked out at least 10-14 days in advance.

I think next year I'll buy another van and hire another tech. I can't believe how well it's going. Just wanted to give you all some feedback for those of you thinking of doing this.

The hardest part was the interview process. It took me several weeks to find a well qualified applicant that I liked. But once I found one, we've been going like gangbusters ever since March.

The best part is every time he's done with a repair job he asks the customer if they'd like to be added to our winterization / spring start-up list. And a lot of them have said yes. So this year well probably have 200-250 winterizations to do, which is up from about 125-150 last year.
  2. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

I'd love to hire another service tech. I've been trying for 3 years to find a "well qualified" applicant. Hell, I've only had 1 guy that interviewed. He had the knowledge. I hired him & he called off the 1st day & promised that he would be in the next day & I never heard from him again. How did you advertise for this position?

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Jim... Good to hear that all is working out well. Sounds like your company will grow because you selected a good person for the position. Good luck on future expansion.
  4. JimLewis

I advertised for 3 weeks in the employment section of the largest newspaper in the state. I got lots of calls. Weeded out most of them over the phone. Gave about 10 interviews. I felt like maybe 3 of them would have maybe worked. And I found one that I knew would work perfectly, and he has.

All I can advise is to advertise week after week until you find the right guy. Time and time again I've almost made the mistake of hiring someone who would "maybe be able to do the job" and then on the last day or so some guy calls who just moved here from out of state and ends up being just a dream come true! Had I not waited, I would have missed out on some good employees. Wait until you for sure get the right guy. It makes all the difference.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Jim, just out of curosity, what is a skilled irrigation tech worth to you?

You can PM me if you like.
  6. PurpHaze

Maybe he'll open a Sequim branch??? :)
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've been wanting to move to oregon for a long time. Mainly because its just as beautifull down there as it is up here, and I won't have to pump my own gas anymore :laugh:
  8. PurpHaze

BUT... You'll have to buy a pair of Nike cross-trainers and start jogging. :laugh:
  9. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We may need someone next year. I'm doing it all right now to learn the in's and out's (after buying an existing company to augment our landscape management business). We don't service much off the island (a few in Indianola and Poulsbo). Though it's still Washington, we still have Full Service pumps at the local gas station! :)

10. JimLewis

We pay our current irrigation tech. $15.00 per hour. That's what I hired him at and I am sure next year he'll want and deserve a decent raise.