New Isuzu dump

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Evan528, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

After searching for over a year, I finally found the truck I was looking for. Plenty of Isuzu dumps around but very rare to find a crew cab in my area. Got this truck with less than 40,000 miles at a great price.

Are they truly as reliable as people say? Any common problems to keep an eye out for?

I would appreciate any advice and experience if you have a similar NPR.

Attached Files:

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That is a rare truck the crew cab versions are not overly common. The Isuzu trucks go for ever, the body will rust/rot off before the truck ever thinks of dying. If the truck has the exhaust brake use it they work really well on the Isuzu diesels.

3. Evan528

This truck does have the exhaust brake although I dont even know how to use it yet. I bought this truck from a "car" dealership that has no experience in dealing with larger trucks. They're knowlege of this truck was pretty close to zero which is why I got the deal I did on it.

The body on it is the composite material so I wont have to worry about rust. Its supposidly 800LBS lighter then a comparable steel body= more payload.

I need to see if I can track down a manual for this truck. I dont even know where to start in terms of maintenance intervals....etc.....

4. Gravel Rat

I would take it to a Isuzu truck dealer have them do a service on it, adjust the brakes etc. They can get you a owners/operating manual for it.

As I mentioned the exhaust brake works really well on the Isuzu diesels, the guys that used to run the GM version of the Isuzu trucks very rarely stepped on the brake pedal.

Tires is the biggest issue make sure you buy the best RIB tire you can get these trucks are tough on tires, the trucks pack a h*ll of a load more than what the gvw says :laugh:

5. geeman

geeman LawnSite Member

Looks like that's an '07. I have an '07 NQR, basically same truck with a higher gvwr, with a stainless steel dump body, bought it new. Never had a problem, exhaust brake works well, has enough power. A little sluggish when fully loaded and pulling my 7000# trailer, otherwise great truck, you'll love it.

6. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Ive got an npr dump without the crew cab. I love it, very dependable but as stated already a little sluggish when pulling a heavy load. Thats an awesome truck and I think your gonna be happy with it.

7. Evan528

Can you give me a brief run down on how to use the exhuast brake? I dont even know where the controls are.

8. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I believe your control is on the left of the steering wheel, pull it back towards you (windshield wiper control?) and you will see a symbol light up on the dash for the exhaust break. The exhaust break stops the exhaust fumes from escaping the enging and slows the engine down and causes reverse torque and helps the stopping power of the truck

9. geeman

geeman LawnSite Member

FL-Landscapes is correct. Just pull the wiper control lever on the steering column forward to activate the exhaust brake. You should see a symbol light up on the top of your dash.

10. Gravel Rat

The Isuzu trucks were never ment to win speed races they can pack a good payload reliably. I have seen a GMC/Isuzu W4500 carry some extreme weight like 6 tons some loads were heavier.

The biggest problem with Isuzu trucks around here was road salt and rust the cabs would rust to pieces the engines and driveline would have 400,000 kilometers (249,000 miles) on it and the cab is rusted right off the truck.