New jack with a horrible lawn!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ricsin1, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ricsin1

ricsin1 LawnSite Member

hello. I am new home owner. I purchased a foreclosure property last year ( sept/oct ) - when i got it the "grass" was about 3-4 feet high!! chopped it all down and said I'll worry about it next spring ( now ) .... the yard looked like i was growing SALAD! there was every kind of greenery shooting up EXCEPT grass....

my plans were to 1) kill the weeds, 2) overseed the existing lawn with a high quality fescue seed , 3) apply starter fertilizer, 4) water , 5 ) pray that something happens....

to kill the weeds i used Ortho Weed BGone w/ crabGrass killer - little did I know it said I have to wait 4weeks to seed after using it !!! I used it March 21 so now im stuck having to wait until April 24th to do anything.....

most of the weeds are gone now and some fescue & bermudagrass came up.... in patches though - nothing to brag about! i have 10% grass and 90% dead weeds...

If I aerate the soil ........ do you think ITS TOO LATE IN THE SEASON to sow FESCUE SEEDS on April 24 ....or should i just live w/ a crappy lawn til the fall and start then...

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Get a soil test and report back.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

GA clay and GA heat and GA drought. Fescues grow good up here planted almost anytime of the year along with KBG and Per. Rye. I would probably till in a bunch of ammendments during the season to have a decent soil that holds nutrients and allows drainage. So I would have something to work with when planting time came.
    My first soil test would be a perc test. :)