1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New JD 800 series ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by derekarbeiter, Jun 2, 2008.

1. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

I demoed a Z810A today for the first time. I thought it was very quick, however I still feel that it is cheap made compared to the 700 series. Just take a look at the frame for starters. (Where the engine sits, and bumper) Light guage steel. TOO much plastic. It rode like a log cart, no suspension seat standard. Love the improvements on the deck, front casters and forks though. I did find it to loose a little power when accelerating forward when mowing. I was told by the dealer that JD's temperary solution for this was to up the RPMs, but they expected new pumps by next year. What does everyone else think about these machines?
  2. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

refer to the thread abut JD pro series runs sluggish its about 20 pages long
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

With all due repsect to John Deere, I think they fell flat on their faces this year. It appears to me they rushed out a new line of product with poor testing. It took only a few lawnsite members less than a month to discover major problems and have them posted.

I demoed an 820 for exactly 1 hour and took it back.:nono:
  4. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

My salesman said that deere has a couple problems that they know of that needs fixed. He said not to buy one atleast untill fall and then some of the problems should be fixed.
  5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Got to cut my yard with a new 820. was on it for around 30 mintes give or take. Like I said before they can have the new Deere I will keep my Scags.
  6. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

I agree, I think JD rushed these new products. I think the 700 series(which are great mowers) made them too confident:nono: and they ignored detail with these new ones. I think with a few modifications the 700 series could have gone from great to excellent.:)
  7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer said that the New 820 is NLA.
  8. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

Deere is more worrried about there stock options than R&D!
  9. Lockwood

Lockwood LawnSite Member

I am in this situation right now. I bought a Z830A Deere, and it has been back to the shop for the same problem 3 times now, and they actually have it, and I have a 757 demo that is old, but no probs. I told my sales guy that I wanted Deere to buy this machine back and I will buy a 700 series (797, 777, 757). I gave him my specs that I wanted and told him to go from there.
  10. dshack7

dshack7 LawnSite Member

Demoed a Z810A and it ran great. Bought one w/ 48" deck and had all the issues listed here in the threads. Even with blades disengaged, it would barely make it up a pond levy. Dealer said that JD is sending new kits (PIP) for Performance Improvement Package. It will provide new deck bolts and a smaller drive pulley. Said the smaller drive pulley will ease pressure on the pumps, decrease speed from 12 mph to 10.5, but will solve the power issues.

Does this make sense to anyone? With the power loss I experienced, I doubt that a smaller pulley will make that big a difference.

By the way, the demo I used was next taken out by another lawn service. The deck bolts had broken and the right pump was gone -- hydraulic fluid leaked all over the concrete slab at the dealer.

I'm thinking I should pass on the 810.

Where would I find a 737?