New JD 900 or Ferris 3100

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by williams lcm, Jan 31, 2013.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been a deere fan and currently have a z830a and a z950. I am looking at getting a new 72 inch mower. Should I go for the new 900 series or buy the Ferris 3100z? I plan on selling my Z830 to my dad and getting a new mower. Just can't decide what to get. Input please

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

The new deeres look like a serious mower. Im not sure how the deeres cut in florida, but up here it is king of the hill, and ferris, well they just kind of sell mowers. Atleast around here. Would you go diesel or gas for the new machine?

3. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

My deere dealers says just to go get a diesel if you are going for a 72. he says very few ever go to the shop for repair. Super heavy duty machine and for a few thousand more you get a machine you wont have to replace 4 years down the road. He says the machine will outlast a mower deck. I guess the diesel is set up better to handle a 72inch than the basic frames for the gas motors. I love JD cut quality but just curious on the comfort on the Ferris.

4. LandFakers

from CT

I will chime in again on the ferris mowers around here. Many complain that while the suspension is good form the ride, the cut quality really suffers. The deck is designed not to drop when the suspension is active, but it does anyway and there have been complaints of alot of gauging. The diesel will go twice as long as any gas. Youll be replacing the frame before the motor goes out

5. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

I'd get the r series deere and try the flex forks. They ride so rough. That's why I'm selling my z950. I just can't it much longer
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. LandFakers

from CT

Really? I tried out a deere at a dealer open house and I was up on the lawn that was trampled the weekend before during heavy rain by cars and it was really smooth for me, atleast compared to my old exmark

7. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

Come mow some of the stuff I mow. I have a cemetery that I need the seat belt on to avoid bouncing off the seat. A mower with no suspension with solid rubber tires can't be a very good ride. At least they came out with a good seat, but not as good as the Scag cheetah seat
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. LandFakers

from CT

I mow some rough stuff, but not as rough as your talking! I dont think many mowers will give you a nice ride on that cemetery!!

9. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

But something with suspension will help. I may go with standers. I haven't decided.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ferris decks cut great now. They are similar to the scag. The comfort is second to none. You'll have a hard time using anything after you get one. Good luck.