NEW JD F687..No Mow

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by RKISTNER1, Mar 22, 2005.

1. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Well my wife God love got me a brand new John Deere f687, OFF EBAY. Shipped to my shop in one piece for $6600.00 WOW! Got the thing home..Man r these things fun to drive..But still snow here in mich. My problem is when i engage pto it stalls to the point of shutting down then i TURN IT OFF AND IT RECOVERS. Its under warranty BUT I'M NOT DUMB! #1 FUEL IS ON #2 IM SITTING ON SEAT. #3 SWING ARMS ARE OUT #4 PARK BREAK IN CORRECT POSITION #5 SEAT SWITCH WORKING CORRECTLY Question could the fact that its brand new but 2003 in crate 4 a while could the clutch be rusted? ive been looking at mowers 4 2 months to replace my 15 yr old crapman. This will last me the rest of my life JUST WANT TO GET IT WORKING AT HOME WITHOUT HAULING IT TO A DEALER ..HELP RICH IN MICHIGAN

2. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

I hope you have full throttle engaging the PTO, otherwise there is something seriously wrong with your mower...........

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Any one of the safety switches could be bad,sticking, or have corroded contacts. The clutch would likely slip, and not stall the engine, if it were rusty. My guess is a bad safety switch somewhere.

4. RKISTNER1

Your right it's more like the engine is shutting down . but pto is engaging did the engine off ign on pto click test. thank you

5. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

Here is something you can try, it works on the Home Depot JD's.
    Before you engage the deck, idle down the throttle, then engage the
    deck, and after the blades are spinning, raise your throttle.
    Sometimes it takes 7 or 8 tries, the dealer says something like
    "You have to burnish in the clutch", although his mechanic wouldnt
    say that. He acted like the dealer was just telling me a line to get
    me to be more patient. This is only on the electric PTO (clutch) models.
    I dont know that this will help, but it shouldnt hurt to try it.

John

6. RKISTNER1

JOHN, That sound like my best bet.thank you very much

7. RKISTNER1

TO:EVERYONE THANK U 4 YOUR HELP..I was just 2 da..m excited ALL I HAD 2 DO IZ TAKE THE FRIKKIN PARK BREAK OFF! DA DA DA DA RICH IN MICH happy mowing everyone

8. RKISTNER1

SPOKE TO SOON STILL DOES NOT WORK ..ALSO TEACHING MY 11 YR OLD SON 2 DRIVE ON CONCRETE PAD 30 X 30' ENGING SMOKES AND STALLS AFTER 6 MIN RUNNING..could be water in tank..ongoing rich HELP!

9. RKISTNER1

this senario gets better..run mower for 5 min on 30' x 30' concrete pad after a while every 30-40 sec engine bogs,BIGTIME LOTS OF SMOKE..THEN RECOVERS..23HP KOHLER ...PUT DRY GAS PRIOR..STUMPED ????????????

10. RKISTNER1

BIG WASP NEST..looks like mud opbbler..my son sees wings in it..too much fuel iz mi problem..