New jd having engine issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, Sep 16, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I went over to help my old man today and cut his lawn so he could work on my sisters house. I went to start up his new JD lawn tractor that has
    a v-twin liquid cool kawi on it and only 24 hours on the mower. So I start it up and poof all this oily smoke comes out of the muffler, I let it run a few and the smoke doesnt stop. He is ticked, cause he just bought this mower to repleact his crapsman so he has a reliable mower. Well at least its under warranty, gonna call the dealer tomorrow to have him come get it and fix it. Will give a update on the situation when I learn more.

ps. if any one else has had this happen please let me know how it was resolved. thanks
  2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen head gasket issues on these LC kaws. Might be coolant in the cylinders. Pull the plugs and have a look see. If its smoking like a freight train, see if it smells like coolant or oil. Also check the air intake for obstructions. If the intake is clogged, she'll try and suck air from anywhere it can, the crankcase too thru the breather. At least if ya do some investigation work, you'll be able to fill in the dealer when you take it back. Good hunting and post back when it gets fixed so we know what the deal was.
  3. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

first thing we did was check the intake, np. and the smoke is definitely oil based. My first thought was gasket problems, but we will see what the dealer has to say. No sense in climbing around a engine thats under warranty, might as well let the dealer do all the work.