New Jersey GUys/ North East.. PLease read

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Petr51488, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Hey guys. As we all know the weather in NJ and the rest of the North East has been pretty *****. When you guys go and put out your flyers/doorhangers? I was planning on doing it 2 weeks ago, but we have had nothing but cold weather and snow. Did any of you guys start putting up your advertising yet? Also, is now a good time to put up an add in the papers? Thanks in advance - Peter

2. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I would get everything in place, but wait until it stops snowing to actually send 'em out. my 2cents

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually waited until the weather was starting to turn nice, when people were starting to think about their yards. I just felt (my opinion) that if the flyers went out too early, people would just trash them. There are always the people who plan ahead and are looking for a new service, but there are also those who wait until the middle of April to make arrangements :dizzy:

4. Petr51488

from NJ

I would think that waiting till the middle of april is a little late. I am usually doing spring clean-ups by then.. I hear next week its suppose to be in the 50's.

5. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Petr51. I have 2500 door hangers ready to go. But the warm weather will place people's minds on landscaping, etc.

6. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

I am putting out 10,000 flyers this Sunday. I hope all works out with it, its my first time so who knows. I just can't sit still anymore. I need to do something. I was thinking of maybe putting them off for a week though just in case homeowners may still be in winter mode seeing snow. I don't know yet.

7. Petr51488

from NJ

I feel the same way. I can't wait to go and put them out. But, i don't want to do it to early, and i don't want to wait to late. Should i be putting up the adds in the local paper now? Just incase someone is looking?

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I don't think it's too late. As I've said before, a lot of people start doing their lawns themselves because they are just happy to get outside after winter. Then when it starts getting hot, they are ready to hire someone.
    Also, a lot of people may have hired another lawn service, and end up not being happy with them, or they just stop showing up, so the homeowner needs to find someone else.

My first year, I got a late start and didn't even start putting flyers out until late April and continued through June. I got the usual 1-2% response rate, same as every year since then.

9. Petr51488

from NJ

Good Point..

10. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

My newspaper ad has gotten me approximately seven estimates its been in for a month.