New Job Bid - 1st big Job - Help

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mylawnwi, Mar 31, 2010.

1. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

the pattern in a patio is asthetics. I will suggest patterns but I offer the choice to them. It is personal taste, if you guys want to try to act like big shots and say you tell your customers what taste they should have fine. I let them choose and most of the time they defer to me on the pattern. I will then pick the easiest and best looking. If they want a particular pattern, we do what they want.

2. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Not exactly.
    Some patterns have more interlock than others.
    Herringbone is one of the strongest, ones that have all of those straight joint lines are the weakest.

3. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I knew someone would say that. The fact is it really doesnt matter.

4. Bru75

OK, you build 'em your way, I'll build 'em mine.

5. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Unless your parking a dump truck on your patio, the strength gained from the pattern is irrelavent. A road or parking lot it makes a difference.

6. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Where the wall meets the steps, you should have run one block back towards the house. It would have boxed in the river rock completely. As it sits now, the rock will fall on the steps.

7. Bru75

I repeat: you build em' your way, I'll build 'em mine.
    I learned as a kid to over build everything, make it stronger than it needs to be.

8. Surfdunn

Surfdunn LawnSite Member

Maybe its just the picture but looking at the fire pit is there a grade change going from the pavers to the lawn and also why did you install rock in the bed at the front of the house.

9. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I learned as a contractor to build something that looks good

10. jsb025

jsb025 LawnSite Member

Meezer, I'm in agreement with mylawnwi. You really haven't offered any productive/constructive input. Either offer up something to help him improve his business or do as he asked and stop replying to this topic. Other than that, I've learned a lot through this discussion.. I know I'm a newbie to this site, but I'm just callin' it like I see it.