New Job completed....Tell us what you think

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GroundOneMN, Aug 5, 2011.

1. GroundOneMN

GroundOneMN LawnSite Member

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I like it!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. GroundOneMN

thanks Dvs, just took some more photos of another job you should appreciate, simple but elegant.......

4. 4Russl5

4Russl5 LawnSite Member

Looks great. I like the contrast of the organic shapes in the round inset to the 'squares & rec's'. Tonally the colors look great also. What three materials did you use for the flat work? I am guessing the far right is a dense sandstone from Arkansas? Is it all mortared down? Nice job with your consistent joints. Looking at your photos on FB is great. You might want your guys doing the dry stone work to do a work shop. That wall is thin for it's height. That is the main area that could improve from my view... but I am a dry stone waller/mason.

5. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! That looks great! Nice work. If I follow your FB correctly, even the square paver looking pieces are natural stone? Do they come all squared up or do you have to cut them all? How long did the project take if you don't mind? Very nice work, keep it up!

6. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice work.
    Have you gotten much business from your Facebook page? I only started one a few months ago so I don't know if it's helping me or not, but hey it's free.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Some food for thought - You may wanna have your watermarks on your photos placed more in the area of the subject of your photos. The watermark placed in the corner can easily be cropped out. I would probably place our watermark at the 10:00 position of the circular pattern (of your picture). This way a picture pirate (and trust me, they're out there) would have to crop a chunk out of the center of the photo! Whereas, in the bottom corner, it gets cut out and not a soul would ever notice.

Also, I was checking out the pool. I like the vinyl pool too. (at least it appears to be vinyl from what I can see). Everyone think gunite is the best way to go. Knowing what I've learned about pools, vinyl is a wiser investment - longterm. Replace the liner and that's it. No re-plastering. No re-tiling. No re-coping.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the watermark. I've actually HAD that happen to my photos before and then they show up on some other contractor's website. That will really piss you off when that happens.

Awesome work!

9. GroundOneMN

Thanks for the info, the watermarks or logos were placed in the corner just so that if needed the picture could be used for advertising. However now coming to the realization that it most likely needs to be done as you described, I will just have to have two copies of the photos.

As for the other questions, the main pool deck is made of Silver Creek Travertine - man made product that is similar to travertine but will hold up in the climate here in Minnesota. They come pre-sized and were mortared down as well. The circles are comprised of a natural stone called Kasota found here in Minnesota - my distributer calls it a Minnesota Buff. The project was started last fall, and due to the many upgrades and change orders this lasted a couple months into this year. Just getting to posting some in combination with our blog or news feeds. Total 4 months with rain delays in those.

For the walls they are topped out at 3.5' tall. They are backfilled with drainage rock, tile and fabric. The a compacted class behind those. Definetly there would be larger stone used if the site required but with very little static pressure it was more as decorative planters.

Facebook was just started this year and is growing at a steady pace. We will see what happens between that and Google+.

Jim thanks and sent you a PM

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

That's exactly what you have to do. Keep several copies of the same photo. I actually keep 3 sub-folders for every project we do. 1) Original Hi-Def Photos. To be used for print / advertising, if ever. 2) Folder with only the best photos, re-sized to a reasonable size and MB. And if there is any touching up to be done to the photos in terms of lighting, etc. then they are altered at this stage too. These images are for small photobooks, sharing with future customers, friends, etc. 3) The same photos in folder #2 except with the watermark added. These are used for our photo gallery on our website, our Facebook Page, Posting on Lawnsite, Angie's List Gallery, or anywhere else on the internet.