1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New job, need ideas

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kemmer, Apr 7, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

A new customer want her yard redone. This topic is about the front, the lawn is another story. she would like small boxwoods lining the front walk. and doesnt really have any other preferences. She wants the beds raised, but most of the stuff looks terrible so she said that it will probably be replaced to. The trees(green) in the corners will stay, i have to work around those. The other stuff(red) will be removed. I was thinking about putting a evergreen on the left corner to soften that edge. and she wants a nice focal point on a side of the steps(not sure which one), mabye a maple, gotta make it look nice. I htink i have enough room on either side if i did want one. im also going to have to extend the window well on the right side. Let me know if you have any other ideas, especially some plant selection. I have to call her tomorrow to see how much light the area gets and if there are any dear in that area (dear ar pretty bad around here.)

In the photos below:
    1. original
    2. cleared out(most of it)
    3. Design so far
    4. RED= Remove GREEN=Stay

4original red.jpg
  2. bondman35a

bondman35a LawnSite Member

Hey bud I didnt look at your pictures because I Have dial up, but I dont think that a evergreen will soften any thing. I am assuming that you are thinking about some type of upright evergreen. Try using some type of ordamental grass or something to "soften" the edge Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Forester' Is A Farily upright grass and it is Hardy to zone 4. Good luck
  3. kemmer

sorry about the pics bondman35a, but if you could look at the 3rd picture it shows what my idea is.
  4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would at a Mt. fire underneaththe window on the left side of the house along with some berberis on both sides of the Mt. fire, then a arbovite at the corner of the house, some goldthread cypress and azela on both sides of the weeping cherry, with some hosta(3) drapped along the front of the weeping cherry. The right side of the steps Id try a pjm rhode. and either an arb next to the steps or a alberta spruce(maybe a spiral one), some nice edging and black mulch. Try to convince her to throw somthing inbetween the boxwoods like after every 2 or 3 throw an ornamental grass or small sized perennial. Good luck.

5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Your design ideas look good to me. You should be able to show the customer several options with that design tool and see what they like. I always like to have a few basic designs and hear what the customers feedback is.
  6. kemmer

heres an idea i think im going to present to the customer to see if she likes it. let me know if you think its good or if i should change things due to growth reason etc.

7. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Those plants need proper spaceing

The trees will take over the house in less than 10 years.

None of those trees should be in that foundation bed

You need some shrubs--like

Prunus laurocerasus-Schiphaensis
    Ilex crenata --Steeds-Helleri--Skypencil
    Nandina domestica
    Taxus x media--Hicksii
    Viburnum carlesii
    Pennisetum Rubrum--Ornamental Grass

Good Luck
  8. kemmer

Coffeecraver, are you talking about the spruce and the cedar? the beds are pretty large, they are 8 ft wide in almost everyplace and the right side of the steps they are over 11ft wide so the maple has room to grow. they wouldnt be placed right on the corner.
  9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with coffee craver, Id be careful with those trees, maybe go with something slower growing and smaller like an alberta spruce or something, even that weeping cherry eventually will get above that window, jus make sure you have enough room off the house. Looks good i like it, especially that sand cherry, really brings out the color.

10. kemmer

well she liked my idea so i gotta get the final estimate ready