New Job With Trugreen

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by djjaymo, Jun 22, 2006.

1. djjaymo

djjaymo LawnSite Member

I may get a job with trugreen chemlawn and I wanted to know if this is the right move. I figure that if I learn the ins and outs of what products to put on the lawns, that will help when I start my own lawnscaping business next year around the spring. Is this a good move?

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Its an excellent move, what you learn will be invaluable for your future business go for it !!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

HAHA. well you will learn what "ghosting" is all about. You will learn what NOT to do to lawns for sure. You will learn to apply the highest nitrogen products at the lowest rates possible in order to keep costs down. Don't forget selling customers services not needed and telling them they have this, this, and this weed and they need areation and they have grubs, even though it's feburary and nothing is even green yet...

As you can tell I have NO respect for chemlawn or any of it's affiliates. All just a bunch of scam companies built on selling unsuspecting people a line of crap. Lucky for them there's plenty of gullible people in this country, most do wise up after a season or 2 and find a real lawn service though...

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

if you want to learn you have many options available. you could do: 1.Golf course work- under the right people, you can learn a ton of stuff and probably do a little spraying. 2. Take some classes 3. Go to work for any other established fert comp other than true green or chemlawn, so you can learn not only how to spray but more importantly, what, when and why.gl

5. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Yes you can learn all their bad practices to, so when you go solo you can geniunly say you were an ex -true green who didnt like the way they operated so started your own company to do things correctly... list all the bad things you witnessed first hand and how you as the new 'TURF MANAGER"
    in town are now the best proffessonal for the job...:weightlifter::clapping: :clapping:

6. oslo

oslo LawnSite Member

Also they will have you sign a n/c clause I'm sure for probably 12-18months, which you may or may not care about, but if you are starting a legitimate business and want to do things the right way...

7. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Golf Courses are the best place to learn about turf, chemicals, and such.

Tim

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Generaly at TGCl they have a "bartender" who mixes the tanks and adds the chemicals for all the trucks....if you are driving a truck, you just dragging hose and watering the lawn...However if you show interestand have a brain TGLc might pay for you to sit in on liscencing classes and take your state Chem App licensce on their dime....That my be worth it..IMO....

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Agronomic aspects, maybe. Economic aspects, probably not.....

10. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

and I'd say that the majority of golf course regimens bear absolutely no resemblance to homeowner service. from cutting heights and methods, to turf type, watering and topdressing, let alone their agronomic programs. you need to learn what it takes to visit a lawn once every 5-6 weeks and trust that it will be fine until your next visit, not on the property every day constantly tweeking.I say go work for CL so that you can get the real taste of production pressure and see if this is something you really want to do.