New Job

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ARGOS, Mar 9, 2009.

1. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Met with a customer Sunday and got a new job. Removing a 2500 square foot parking area and installing an elaborate landscape. The Landscape Architect went with a native plant landscape with low maint plants and just a scrape of turf. There is going to be an outside bread oven. Very cool design. Lots of drainage issues need to be addressed. I took a picture of it, but it was two fuzzy to make out. I will try and take another.

The first step is hooking up this tank. Don't ask why they want all the storage because I really don't know, I think it is because they have solar power and want to run the pump at certain times and gravity feed water. I was asked to hook it up. Here is a picture of the well. The tank is 5000 gallons. The tank sits +/-60 feet above home.

My main concern is stratification in the tank. Suggestions?

DSC05914.JPG

DSC05913.JPG

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'd love to have an outside brick pizza oven. Not that it helps you and your question, just sayin'.

3. ARGOS

The bread oven requires a "special" mason. I think the oven is going to ring up to the tune of 12k.

4. I had to look up stratification. What is it in this situation? Why is that a concern? What causes it? Since I'm not helping you can wait til later to see if I can decipher the answer from other responses.

5. ARGOS

The tank is going to be fed cold water. The tank is sitting on top of a hill exposed to full sun. I am worried that the water is going to stratify or create a cold layer and warm layer without circulating the water thus creating a stagnant layer.

6. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Circulating pump?

Bury it?

Enclose it?

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Solar-powered circulating pump.

8. ARGOS

I was hoping for a non-mechanical solution, but a solar powered circulating pump might work. Have you ever installed one?

The local pump company recommended filling tank from the top with an air gap. Wouldn't that much movement in the water play havoc with a shut off switch?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Haven't installed a solar pump, but it seems an easy call for eliminating stratification. Probably wouldn't have to move much water.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, proved it many times.