1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new job

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mykster, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

With my Unemployment Ins. running out and my business not bringing in enough to make mortgage, car/truck payments etc. I decided to take a job that was offered at a local nursery. It's the biggest public nursery in the State of Wa. that I know of. They have a total of 180 acres in which 30 of those are for the public. They have decided to get into Landscape Installation. So I gave them a resume and they liked it. The pay isn't the greatest but it's the Ins. that I need for my family and myself. At the same time I will get the knowledge of plants and shrubs that I lack. They got no problem with me running my own business so thats also good. I figure this will help me down the road with my business. I hope I'm doing the right thing. I'm excited so that's why I telling everyone here.
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Good Luck with your new job. It sounds great. You will be learning new things that are related to the biz as well as making some excellent contacts for the future. Have fun.
  3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Been there, done that. Look on the bright side, you at least have a day job that will provide knowledge in addition to the insurance, and you have your foot in the door with your own business. JD
  4. B. Phagan

B. Phagan LawnSite Member

I have to agree with your decision to continue to provide for your family first, then the business especially since you can draw a full check plus your accounts.

Suggest you learn as much as you can about the materials and landscaping...it will serve you well as you evolve back into your business.

Good luck to ya!!
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Bill,
    Welcome back and you are far from a "New" member.:D

Good to hear from you again.
  6. B. Phagan

B. Phagan LawnSite Member

Thanks for the welcome back Ed..........I'm like a bad penny, I just keep showing up. I will continue to make contributions in the business elements area so if anyone has any specific questions about business issues for the green industry, I'll answer.

Thanks again.
  7. I would say it's the right thing to do.

Like what has been said before you will be learning and making quality contacts.

This is what I love about this biz, the contacts you make and earn their trust can greatly beinift you down the road.

This is definitly a who you know biz if you want to flurrish.
  8. MJM

MJM LawnSite Member

Hope Uncle Sam doesnt know you were collecting unemployment and running a buisness at the same time.