1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Job!!!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by dutchacres, Oct 27, 2012.

1. dutchacres

dutchacres LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you to all you guys that helped me on my pricing for the wall project I was bidding. I had a meeting with the couple this morning and they signed on. The choose to go with Versa Loc non weathered. I really was trying to get them to go with the weathered look but they liked the clean lines of the traditional block better I guess. I will be starting the job a week from Monday since I will need to have it marked and get all the supplies in. I am so excited and this is a blessing that I wasn't expecting. When I get time I will post some pics of the before. If you didn't read my post before the wall will be 90' long and about 50' of it will be 6' tall with the remainder running out to 1'. They have already recommended me to someone else. And they told me today that it will take them 3-5 years to get the landscaping up to there standards. They are wanting some more walls and pavers done next. This is going to be a good account!! Thank you guys again for your help!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

That's a big project to build your first wall on, I hope you have some good drawings/specs to follow. Lots of liability when you start building walls...

3. dutchacres

dutchacres LawnSite Senior Member

Oh it is far from my first wall. I have built several walls and this one is going to be fun. It is not even close to being the biggest by length or height. I am actually certified in SRW install as well. It has been a few years since I have done any hardscapes but I am sure the rust will knock off quickly once I get started!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

50 linear feet at 6-feet high.

"marking". "order supplies".

Curious as to why no mention of *engineering*?

5. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Didnt you see the part where he mentioned he has done this before?! And much longer and higher, too!

6. DVS Hardscaper

LOL - what did I just write about that last week!?!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering the same!

8. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

keep it up guys, tearing the guy down again when he comes to say thank you...

9. DVS Hardscaper

Call it as you wish.

I am NOT "tearing the guy down".

Retaining walls are NOT to be taken lightly. They're expensive to build. And even more expensive for the client to rebuild.

This forum is intended as an industry professional meeting place. I'm obligated to steer folks in the direction of doing things professionally. A 6-foot high wall typically needs engineered. 6-feet is a hefty height. There's a good amount of weight bearing down on that 6-feet.

I recently priced a job. Included obtaining a county permit. And doing everything by the book. The home owner, a female attorney in the DC area said to me "we're gonna look for a better price, why are you so expensive?" I replied "we're
    Doing everything to industry standards, we're even pulling a permit, most contractors will try to skirt around the permit". She replied "well how much is the permit?" LOL She, Ms Attorney, could not realize the difference between a professional contractor verses a Craigslist contractor. Go ahead, find your better price, I don't like people like you.

I'm happy for the topic creator, I really am. But I want him to be aware for his future jobs that he needs to utilize the services of an engineer when his walls are at 4-feet and above. It's to his benefit.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  10. italianstallion69

italianstallion69 LawnSite Member

what goods an engineering plan without geotech report?

face it residential walls dont have an extra 5 grand of margin for 2 engineers.

why i dont do residential.

good luck on wall man! throw 3 layers of 3.0 geogrid 6' back.... its a start.