New John Deere 997

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Mar 16, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I spent yesterday mowing with the new John Deere 997 with the 31hp diesel. AWESOME. The speed and power was right where it needed to be and a very smooth ride. I ran wide open in 10" - 11" rye grass with a 72" deck at full speed and did even phase it. The touch on the controls are perfect too. If anyone has the opportunity in the next few weeks to test drive one of these by all means do so. It is a big Z but wow! Most people here will not need something like this but..... what a machine.

2. naturescaretaker

Yes Rodfather... I didn't buy one yet.... did by a new 4X4 Gator though. I need something to teach the 13 year old how to drive... LOL.

3. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Does that machine have a solid shaft driven deck rather than belt? That's what it said in Turf, but they also said it was a front mount (it is mid mount right?).

Anyways, i'm glad you liked it. I'm sure it's a hell of a machine payup

4. naturescaretaker

Shaft drive mid mount. It is a grass cutting fool. JD also enlarged the opening in the discharge deck for more volume.

5. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I saw what you are talking about. Those mowers are one sweet machine. Bit of a price tag on them, about $14,000-$15,000 right?

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Deere has it listed on their website finally. I got it on my wish list for next year. :blob3:

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't seen this mower in the flesh yet. But it looks like they did a good job of putting it together. They finally put a decent looking size front caster tire on one of there mowers. It appears low-slung and also looks like they tried to keep the size reasonable, although I'm told it's like 8 feet long.

I'm also a big fan of diesels. They are the true commercial engines that we should EXPECT on our big mowers, not pay an extra huge premium for. Likewise however, I feel that JD has shot themselves in the foot with that $14k-$15k price range. Now I'm sure many of the JD faithful will buy one, many will move to them from the diesel front mowers, and many cities, towns, schools systems, ect will buy..... but personally I think $14k-$15k is just outright price gouging. I believe most smart LCO's will think so also and say what I say.... "For that I can field two equally productive gas mowers."

8. DLCS

The $15,000 is list price, I've never paid list price. I bet a guy could get one for $12,500 from most dealers.

9. DLCS

Actually, I don't think Deere's price is too far out of line for a mower with a 31hp diesel and 72" deck. Ferris is advertising the IS 5000z w/61" deck starting at 16,300 here.

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I noticed a few weird things with Turf this month. It says a few midmounts are front mounts; the dixon and gravely. Who knows!?