New John Deere Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eddies, Feb 25, 2004.

1. eddies

eddies LawnSite Member

Im looking for a John Deere 1445 commercial mower with 30hp min. diesel, 4 wheel drive on demand with a 72" deck. Has anybody ever purchased one and about how much it would cost or what would be considered a good deal. Have not been by the dealer yet. Dont want to be shell shocked, would like a ball park figure. Thanks in advance.
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

My guess is at least $15,000!!! Probably more like $20,000!!
  3. knoxlawnman

knoxlawnman LawnSite Member

why waste time on a jd go with something a little more reliable like a kabota
  4. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

I would like to know why you would want a tractor type mower instead of a ZTR mower? Same width deck, equal HP? This is a question, not a criticism
  5. eddies

eddies LawnSite Member

This is front mounted deck and built heavier than some ZTRs.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You need to look at the Grasshopper 928D/72". It is a much better designed machine than the JD you are looking at. It is built like a tank, and the 28hp Kubota diesel is just about industructable. I bet the Grasshopper will also be a good bit less expensive to buy. Our local Parks Dept. will not even look at those JD mowers. They use Grasshoppers for their front-deck machines.:)
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

There are lots of good mowers out there, but I think JD is the most solid, most reliable, and gives a very precise cut, judging from personal experiences. Eddies, you can't go wrong with JD.
    But to answer yer question, I haven't any idea on price of the mower you are looking for. However, you might try They have the prices posted to a lot of their equipment. And on a side note, don't let the price on the website scare you away. They have excellent promotions and financing. In fact, JD's ZTRs are comparable in price to the others and in many cases even less expensive. Although I do realize you are not talking about a ZTR. But I'd offer the same advice for a front mower.
  8. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I demowed one last summer and it was alright nothing special, actually beet the piss out of me real rough ride. They are right real pricy like 15-20,000 way to much. Anytime you buy something the color of money you are gonna pay. Still a stamped deck though. I know the Z-traks were made by great dane!
  9. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Eddies, what type of areas will you be mowing? The 1445 is a big, expensive machine. I have a F935 which is the model before the 1445. For large areas they are excellent. You can mow wide open on relatively smooth turf and still get a great cut. Very fuel efficient. I mow for about 16 hours and only use about 11 gal of fuel. I have had no serious problems at all with mine. The only change I made on mine was going to tractor lug type tires on the front for more traction. I mow in some hilly areas and the regular turf tires spun out too much. Expect to pay over $15k, but it's worth it if you have the large accounts to use it on.
  10. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

Just my 2 cents kubota zd 28 is the way to go. New pro deck is apparently amazing.