New John Deere Skid Steers now?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by WillieWonka1850, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Deere needs to use this site for advertising. This is like the 4th thread on this topic LOL. Its a good thing to talk about though so i'm not complaining. Bleed (Deere) Green!
  2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

You'll notice that Deeres generally have a higher machine weight -- so in an extreme example, if machine A weighs 1000 pounds and machine B weighs 2000 pounds, then even if machine B has 60/40 weight distribution, 1200 pounds is on the rear vs. just 700 for machine A (assuming 70/30 for machine A).

This isn't always the case -- Deere's design also allows for a lower center of gravity. This helps stability (lifting and machine) as well.

Finally, Deere has a lift path that keeps the load really close to the machine. Try unloading a flatbed with a Deere and compare that to any other brand and you'll see this first-hand.
  3. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

so you're saying the Deere is better in the category of unloading off a flatbed?
  4. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

there was a brochure for a new skid at my deere dealer yesterday
  5. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

325 lifting a 4,500 lb pallet of flagstone on the end of the forks :weightlifter:

6. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

7. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Not better or worse. I'm saying when unloading off a flatbed, Deere machines will need to lift off the tips of the forks rather than securely on the forks.

Deeres make their maximum reach at maximum height; everywhere else, the load is especially close to the machine.
  8. DeereMan85

DeereMan85 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Deere hasn't even officially announced the new series to dealers yet. The site we use to order literature still only has the 300 series available. Deere does not want the public to know too much about the new series yet because everyone has existing inventory to deplete. If your dealer really did get his hands on a new brochure somehow (which I doubt, as engineers are still working on the finishing touches of the design), he could get reprimanded by Deere for handing it out to customers already.
  9. DeereMan85

DeereMan85 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Depends on the height of the trailer--the difference is negligible with a deckover, but you will definitely notice it on a low trailer where there isn't enough clearance for the tires to get under the edge of the deck. The lift pattern allows the 60/40 distribution--they don't need as much rear weight to counteract the weight off the front for the lower 2/3 of the lift pattern. The rear weight package is for folks who need to lift higher because without them a Deere will feel tippier than others way up in the air because that's where it has maximum reach. As far as which is better, it's really about what fits your needs. If you need adaptability, the easy on/off of those dorky looking weights can come in very handy.
  10. Skidsteerman

Skidsteerman LawnSite Senior Member

Same as Komatsu but not Cat - from what I understand Cat's is MFG in China.

As far as the suspension thingy Cat is using, I can see problems with the design from a performance stand point. Sure the suspension gives the operator a cushy comfy ride but excavating with it trying to maintain a cut, doubtful. Controlling grade with this thing has to be a PITA - bucket starts to dig, machine starts to squat, operator compensates with boom bucket controls, machine rises up - so the operator while trying to cut grade ends up fighting the track up and down movement.

How many crawler loaders do you see out there with suspension undercarriages? None!