New John Deere Skid Steers now?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by WillieWonka1850, Jun 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

It looks good except they should have taped off the hoses so they didn't get painted white. It looks like Bobcat white is what they used.

2. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain LawnSite Member

................and why the local authorities are involved????:)

3. Skidsteerman

Skidsteerman LawnSite Senior Member

Comeawn, tell us how you really feel :laugh:

I'm 6'2" and Deere's cab door does bring the suck - it's the height that makes it tough to climb in and out - try it with a hard hat on:rolleyes:

On that note: I do have a fix which has helped us out a bunch

Sims 1.JPG
    Sims 3.JPG
    Sims 6.JPG
    Sims 8.JPG

This is a major improvement over the std door IMO, seals up 100% better as well. Notice the wiper motor is located on the bottom of the glass, this helps not only increasing the opening height but also increases the operator visibility when loading trucks.

Edit: Also the door is mounted several inches farther out improving inside cab room.

Sims 1.JPG

Sims 3.JPG

Sims 6.JPG

Sims 8.JPG

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  4. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

The GR Forrestry door looks similar.

Don't pay any attention to Ron. Unless Deere starts buying Cat loaders and putting Deere stickers on them he will still say screw Deere. Then he will complain about the stickers.

5. Skidsteerman

Some cites when bidding equipment sometimes require certain colors on their equipment. Don't see this as much as it used to be, cutting cost has something to do with it I'm sure.

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

See what I never liked is the stupid thresh hold, where the "SIMS Corporation" decal is, why the hell can't they make that the same width as the rest of the opening and lower it down more??
    That's there I get tripped on.

7. Skidsteerman

Hard to tell with the boom up but when it's down the notch in the bottom of the door frame is to clear the HUGE MASSIVE bucket cylinder when the door is opened. Cat has no issue with this because of their tiny pencil sized bucket cylinders :laugh: Sorry couldn't resist.

8. DeereMan85

DeereMan85 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Agreed. If you measure the plate with the Deere symbol on it, you will notice that it is about 2" taller on cab machines than on ROPS machines. This makes no sense to me. You're already losing some opening height because of the door being in the way, so why make it even tighter by increasing the stepover height of the kickplate? On the ROPS machines, the plate doesn't really serve a purpose other than to piss me off and make it harder to sell the damn things.

It's even worse in my little corner of the world than in others. I live in an area where most people are of Dutch descent. Dutch people are huge. I'm 6'1", 265, played offensive line in (small) college football, and I'm average size at best where I live. You wouldn't believe the size of the galoots in my area. I'm not originally from here and most of my life I've been considered a relatively large person, but not here. It's a funny sight (but frustrating to me) to watch a 6'6", 275 lb. dairy farmer try to crawl in and out of our cab. Thankfully there are some Germans and Hispanics around or I would have a hard time selling anything.

9. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain LawnSite Member

I saw a machine once where the owner notched out the flat horizontal part of the kick panel in the door opening. Actually made a big improvement on access with my size 13's. When the door is closed, it covers that area completely anyway, so no issue with creating an avenue for dirt/cold, or whatever. Gained maybe 2" or so. Seemed like a pretty common sense solution.

10. Skidsteerman

I would assume the plate is taller on the cab option because the door can only be so tall to keep from contacting the boom if the door is opened with boom part way up - make since?

The plate everyone complains about is a shin guard protector and it works. I've had idiots drop rocks and concrete chunks out of the back of the bucket, smashing the eye brow of the ROPS and smashing the shin guard as well. If it wasn't on there the operators lags would have been smashed.