New John Deere Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by keerym, Jan 22, 2002.

1. keerym

keerym LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Hey guys, I just found this surfing the internet, take a look. There are more new models in the sale manual, these are the first ones out this spring, and the first John Deere models of Great Dane origin. What do you think?
    John Deere 607 series

2. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

I dont know about them. they look like a pretty good piece of equitment. I am sure that they will be okay cause John deere has not really had any horrible pieces of equitment yet. It will be intresting to see how they sell and perform.

3. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Guessing that b/c John Deere dosen't make any good comm. mowing w/b and stuff of that nature and were getting destroyed by ever other competitor in the biz. I have to say that's why they bought Great Dane and others. HEY, they probably just took a Super Sufer, painted it green, slightly changed a few tiny tiny things, and will then add about $300 to the tag. Hech ya it will be a good piece of equ., but I would buy a GS or Wright first.

4. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I agree with summitgroundskeeping, its going to be a nice commercial mower, but the price of it will be more than its competitors. If this new mower cost almost as much as a ride on ZTR then whats the point. even though you can get under trees and all alot easier with this new machine. Im not too interested in this mower, rather just buy a Hydro WB with a veilky lot cheaper. Dont care for the stand on machine anyhow.
    Matt (Lawnman)

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

how about an address? Looked at JD no new models Ed.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I guess I'm the only guy here to remember the 5 speed positrack j/d walkbehind with the oscillating deck.( 8" of float on a pivot!) I had 2 of them, no major problems, they ran like tanks and had 1900 and 1400 hours when I traded them off for riders. they were still running and cutting daily. If the new rig has any of THOSE john deere DNA, then maybe it'll be a good rig. the dane surfer was a good rig to start with. Dave g

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Good phot of it in Landscape Management it's called the "Quik-Trak", looks like half the mower the Great Dane is/was? Looks like a JD walkbehind converted to a stander, deck looks thin and weak.

Here is a small article; http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/product/detail.asp?Id=33

8. keerym

keerym LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

I agree that the old John Deere mower decks were less than spectacular. However these new models have the 7 iron decks which are 7 gauge steel. Design wise they are alot deeper for more suction and more airflow. Almost all of what I have heard from customers about these decks has been positive. Any owners out there with the 7 iron decks? What do you think of them?

9. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

The 7-iron deck has been great for me, cuts bahia clean with no stringers, great cut, no problems.:D

10. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

yeah those old JDs were neat, my cousin has one 48/17hp. The deck looked a little flimsy but he hasn't had trouble with it, he has 900 over about 8-10 years, he's part time like me. I'd like to see some new walkbehinds similar to that JD chassis. Oh and it was no easy to adjust the height, a crank with a ruler, you can't beat that. The other nice thing about JD's is their dealer network and next day parts