1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New John Deere String Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Jun 23, 2002.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the 120 pro series trimmer the other day and want it .. Seems very similar to the Red Max in design, except for the grip and triggers. The JD is a bit longer, which is what I am looking for .. I run Red Max now but seem to find myself bending over a bit and straining my back to gt the head near the ground.

Anyone have any experience with these trimmers or know of anyohter options for the taller scapers( other than Echo ) ?

2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I haver a JD trimmer and like it. I love my echo though. If you get a JD go with XT140or bigger. they run better and do a better job than the smaller ones.
  3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

They looked to me like they were made by Husqavarna. Paint them orange and grey and most people couldn't tell the dif.
    I didn't see any Redmax quality my self.
  4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

they should be made by homelite, after all jd owns homelite.
  5. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

i have a wide assorment of JD's never had any problems with them have one that is 5 years old and has a ton of hours on it always ran without a sheild and th clutch still hasn't went out.
  6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a new JD trimmer last week. Model T30S, last years model. It was on closeout for $150 so I bought it to use as a backup. It has the 30cc long life engine (not mitsubishi engine). I am pleased with it so far, but it doesn't compare to my fs 85.
  7. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

0ryan0 Where did you find that Jd Trimmer. i jave never seen one that looks like that or for that cheap. Also never heard of those numbers. noly familiar with the XT series
  8. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

looks like the homelite trimmer my parents bought for me a long time ago, its my backup, but, its trash... IMHO

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yellow Homelite.
  10. heather

heather LawnSite Member

We run john deere trimmers since we dumped echo. The 105 model has no power but the 120 does a great job. I do belive they have mitsibusi engines. After 4 years we are starting to see minor problems( hard starting)could be because they are still running original spark plugs.:D