New John Deere Z's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drumbo, Feb 24, 2008.

1. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

I have only owned Exmarks but I demo'd a 72 inch 29 Kawi last Spring and it cut every blade, no wind rowing...with the chute DOWN!

Now, that same salesman is telling me to wait to see the new Deere's that he saw at their annual training.

Anyone have the specs/pics/etc on these new & improved machines? I am just crazy curious but Deere.com is mum on anything although they are putting teaser ads in the industry magazines.

Anyone?

Thanks!

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I really like Exmark and Scag but it's really hard to find a bad post on the 7 Iron II deck. I doubt I could get much support from the dealers around here but I would love to get a good demo on a big Deere. They are not popular here yet but who knows in a few years.

I don't like the engine options and seat options as well as some other brands. Other than that I can't find much negative to say about the Deere. Apparently they are doing their homework and have a pretty good machine.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I have the Original 7-Iron 60" deck it is toughest single piece of 7ga stamped steel I have ever owned. I have nothing but praise for the 7-Iron decks, Although I have seen the 7 Iron II deck in industry magazines, looks like more stuff to break on the underside of the deck, were everthing is zinging at over 18,000FPS????. Great wide area deck, but heavy for residentials & some commercial I have. Lets face it the bigger the deck, more scalping IMO & experience. JD has great Customer Service, when I started my business 7 years ago I was attracted to the Green paint, not so much anymore. I'm sure it will have its niche in the Market.

4. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I saw one at a trade show and sit on it, that's all. It looks good. Foot operated deck lift and parking brake, gas gauge, twin hydro's (but no hydro reservoir). But other than that, I couldn't tell you much more. I'm waiting for a demo this Spring.

I was gonna buy a new mower this year, but with the economy and drought the way it is. I'm probably gonna spend another long year with my current mower and get a new one next year. That'll give them a year to work the bugs out.

IMO, they have missed the boat on rolling this out. Even the dealers don't know much and agree that they should have already hit the floor so people can get them demo'd and ordered before Spring.

5. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

I bet they push it harder mid-season to get their "feelers" out in the field. I heard that they have a hydraulic deck lift instead of foot pedal...and it is a switch on one of the handles. The front tires are fatter like Exmark's. Other than that, I figured someone on here would have some good insider info...

Let's see who brings it.

6. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

The foot pedal is standard, the switch is an option.

Here's some pictures another member posted a few months ago and I saved them. Credit to him.

New Deere ZTR1.jpg

New Deere ZTR2.jpg

New Deere ZTR3.jpg

New Deere ZTR5.jpg

New Deere ZTR6.jpg

7. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I sat on one at the home show today. I forget the model number. It had the button on the left grip for the deck lift, and the looked like a decent mower. I thought the 737 I saw last yr looked nicer, imo. But looks dont have anything to do with how good it actually is. I am going into the dealer on monday to get more info on it, and to see if he can find a 737 at a good price still. He told me they don't have pricing on the 800 series mowers yet.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Needs a Michigan seat in yellow. I won't buy a ZTR without one. No add on suspension for me.

9. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

The new ones have a gas gauge... Holy crap... paid little over 11K for my 797 and didn't get a gas gauge.. kinda ticked me off.

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Search for "2008 John Deere" and you'll find a couple press release links. They are using a 31hp Kawasaki this year.