New John Deere Ztraks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dgZtrak737, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dgZtrak737

dgZtrak737 LawnSite Member

Hello
    I am currently looking to mabey replace my John Deere 737 with a 54 inch deck. I have a 2 bag bagger on it. I have a realitive that wants to by the machine. I am looking at replacing it with mabey a X740-X748 with a 62 inch deck with a dump from seat bagger, OR a Z840A with a dump from seat bagger. The only thing holding me back from the new Z is I want a Diesel, and you cant get a diesel unless its the monster 997. And I dont want it Have any of you heard weather john deere is going to offer a smaller diesel Ztrak next year?
    What do you guys think?

2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt they will have another diesel soon. I was looking forward to some new things on the new Z800 series line and was totally disappointed.

The engine lineup went south and makes no sense to me as the 700 series do. The 700 mower numbers goes higher as they engines grow and this is not true of the new 800 lineup. The mowers look beefier, but this is not neccesarily true. The ONLY option I wish I had for my poor knees is the hydraulic decl lift.

I was seriously interested in a smaller diesel also as the 997 is too heavy for my trailer and I don't want to spend large amounts of cash for a new mower AND a new trailer.

I'll be keeping my 797 as I lot it with the larger liquid cooled engine and 72" deck.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm very disapointed in the new JD ztrs. Looks like they are trying to market to the homeowners again with good looks and nothing of any substance. I'll be hanging on to my 757's another year. I too wouod like a smaller compact diesel ztr, the 997 is just too big for my liking.

4. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

The 997 is a beast. Way to much overkill unless you have acres and acres to mow. JD really needs to offer more engine options. It would be nice to see them offer a option for the 757 model like a 28 horse kaw. or even a 31 big block briggs on a 60 inch cut.

5. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

any pictures of the new deeres?

6. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

you should look into getting a walker with a 48 ghs deck and 9.5 cu ft hopper high dump. you can get a 62" side discharge deck to go with it. www.walkermowers.com

7. dgZtrak737

In the back of my mind I have thought about a Toro 595D With the kubota diesel. Would you guys do that or go with a X740

About the issue with the small diesel in the John Deere Ztraks. I talked to a rep from john deere at the ky trade show. He said all of the field reps have been trying to get that done, BUT the engineers say they cant find a diesel to put in a mower that size? He said MABEY next year. If toro, walker, badboy, scag, hustler and all of them do it, why cant John Deere. I think yanmar is more than capable of making a motor that to work with these machines.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with your statement, "... yanmar is more than capable of making a motor ...." Being capable, and making it effective to produce in quantity is another issue. Most likely the Yanmar engines now used in many of Deere's equipment is able to fit several models of equipment. That is, one engine isn't intended for just one piece of equipment. Undoubtedly, they cannot engineer and produce an engine that would only see use in a commercial mower.

Apparently, an existing engine already in production cannot be fitted into the envelope available. And, apparently Deere has decided not to make frame modifications to create an envelope for an engine already in production.

I am sure there are large inputs into such a decision, most of which are economic in nature. "Is it worth the expense to do what is necessary to make such an option on the market, and would sales be high enough to justify a positive decision?"

9. dgZtrak737

Your probably right

Would you guys switch to a tractor style mower?

10. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I surely wouldn't switch to a tractor style mower. My 48" Ferris will mow my dad's yard in less than half the time it takes with his 54" JD 345. I'm with everybody else on the diesel thing. There should be a lot more diesel options for mowers. Everride and Bob-Cat have a small Yanmar, but it's a 2 cylinder. I've heard that these are very loud and and have excessive rattle. From my research, the best bet for a small-mid size diesel ZTR is a Grasshopper 321D or 322D. Both have Kubota 3 cylinder engines and the 321D has a 52" deck, and the 322D is available with 61" or 72". Check out their frontmount mowers as well. Very impressive lineup.