New K-Rain Heads RPS75

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irishgreenlandscape, May 2, 2008.

1. irishgreenlandscape

irishgreenlandscape LawnSite Member

I am new to the site and wanted to get your opinions.

Have any of you tried the new K-Rain RPS75 heads? I just installed two cases this week and was impressed. They smell, feel and act just like a PGP. The best part was that I saved over $2 a head.

My rep introduced me to these several months ago but I was happy using a combo of ProPlus and PGP's. I had two small residential jobs this week and could not believe it. I thought that the RPS75 had a better feel when I turned the head by hand - tighter sound. They acted just like the PGP and the nozzles used a different number system - but performed the same. According to what I have read and what the rep told me - K-Rain license the reversing mechanism to Hunter and have been doing it since the PGP started in 1981 or something to that effect.

Orbit tried to get my business several years ago with their head. I found out that it was made by Hunter just with a green private label top. I could not go down that road. This is different - granted I have been using some K-Rain's for a while now and never had any major issues with the company/products. Orbit is just not strong of line to sell.

Everyone in my area is offering a PGP - this might be my way of saving some major money and offering something different then the rest. I use about 2500 heads a year and saving $2 a head is adding about 5 grand to pay for my gas;). A good product and a good story to sell.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has used these heads.

2. Try a search. We've beat this subject to death.

Welcome to the site by the way.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

OK I'm going to beat this up a little more. I received this email yesterday afternoon.

Your registration for your free "Switch to K-Rain" kit has been submitted. You should receive your materials in 2 to 3 weeks. We think you will soon see why K-Rain is one of the fastest growing manufacturers in the irrigation industry. Thank you for your interest in K-Rain products!

Switch 2 K-rain Response

The following information was provided on 05/01/2008 @ 04:42 PM

Company: Sprinklers, Etc.
    First Name: Dana
    Last Name: Owner
    Address: PO Box 63436
    Suite/Apt:
    City: Colorado Springs
    Zip: 80962
    State: CO
    Daytime Phone: 719-481-0045
    Alt Phone:
    Email: dana@sprinklersetc.com
    Distributor Where You
    Buy Irrigation Products Ewing
    Your Current Preferred
    Rotor Brand Hunter

I responded to them very pissed off. I didn't sign up for anything with KRain. For them to get my info kinda gets me irritated. They did respond back and apologized but they said they did not know how my info was submitted. My thoughts were either they got it from Ewing, or maybe Lawnsite. Now Sean here says they do not sell our info, and I'll try to take his word for that. But I can't see Ewing doing that either. Maybe they did. I was pissed because of how many identity theft issues we hear about. Basically they said it was sent out only to confirm they are sending me some samples to try. Maybe I filled a survey years ago or something.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

(I think I'll go post in a Porsche forum and see if the factory wants to send me some samples)

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I installed about a hundred pro pluses about 7-8 yrs back. They never stop turning but the springs are too weak and they dont retract.I have a few customers that I pull one or two every yr because Im so damn sick of spraying them and stepping on them.

6. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to save a couple of bucks per head and want a five year warranty, why not switch to the Rain Bird 5004 rotor? There are a few guys on the site here that have made the switch, I think they will agree it is a safer bet than going K-Rain. The list price on the 5004 is $13.50/head, I have heard of contractor net prices as low as $5.65 per head. Find your local rep and ask for a case to try out you might like them.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We install the 5000 stainless and are pleased with it. However, avoid the
    MPR nozzle shuck unless you like front end flooding.:hammerhead:

DSCN0718.jpg

8. Nice photo Mike. Shows your point well.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Look maw, it's a Rain Curtain!

10. jamesbond

jamesbond LawnSite Member

Nothing wrong with the RPS-75 it works fine. If you are going to use a crappy gear drive, you might as well pay less for it. Can't ratchet it!!!:hammerhead: Nice