New Kawasaki engine- air-cooled big block 31hp!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Jan 16, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Bad Boy gets them in March. My rep had a bit of misinformation for those who have read my other posts regarding this engine. It will be carbureted and air cooled, but I'm still waiting to hear more information on them. Bad Boy gets them on their Pup and Lightning models. Wonder who else will be using this engine...

EDIT: it's a vertical shaft engine for anyone wondering.

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like they want to kick some a** with it !!

3. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

Why would they use that engine when they could use the 34hp or 37hp like Bobcat and Country Clipper?

4. tb8100

from TX

well, price point, most likely. They're putting this engine on the Pup, which is a sub-$7000 mower, and the Lightning, which is a sub-$8000 mower. Actually, the Lightning with a 72" deck might break the $8000 barrier, but barely.

5. Green King

That Kinda makes sense other than the fact that they already offer a 30hp kohler do they not? And I know the country clipper at least here the price diffrence between a 34hp and the 37hp is only $125!

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

The 37 hp kawi is also air cooled.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

They probably also want to offer a third option for those who prefer the Kawasaki's.

8. Green King

Actually that makes more sense than anything! But they just as well offer the more HP!

9. tb8100

from TX

they do offer a 30hp small block Kohler, which is a popular option. The big block Kawasaki will be for those who want a little more power and the Kawasaki name, and it just helps fill out their line. Previously, the Pup only had two options- the 30hp Kohler and the 23hp Vanguard. The Lightning also only had two options- the 26hp LC Kaw and a 32hp big block Vanguard. Just giving folks more options. I'm expecting a 23hp Kaw ZT for 2009, and maybe a 37hp Kaw AOS that year also. We'll see. That 37 is a beast of an engine though! Who all uses that besides Wright and Bobcat? Didn't see it on Country Clipper's website.

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

John Deere's reports for their 2008 lineup has a 31hp Kawasaki on it as well.

The 30hp Kohler shouldn't be talked about in the same category as the big blocks. I've run one side-by-side to a 31hp Briggs and there is no comparison. The extra displacement makes a huge difference in power.