New Kawasaki FJ180V 6HP should I get the oil filter kit?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Exact Rototilling, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought a new Kawi powered 21" trim mower and it has an access plate for an optional Kawi spin on filter. How much life will I really add to the mower by adding an oil filter kit to it?

What would you do? :waving:

2. Exact Rototilling

BUMP

Filter vs. no filter?
    :usflag:

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on how often you do change your oil ?

We change oil in our smaller rental equipment every 50 hrs. so I wouldn't spend the money for a filter kit on them.

Just think about how many engines are on the market that doesn't have this option and with proper maintenance actually out live their projected life span.

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I think it would be worth having a filter if you could be using it on hills or slopes !! If so, full pressure for the engine would certainly be a benefit.

5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

It would allow you to change oil every 50 hrs instead of 25 hrs and will reduce engine wear by at least 25%

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

2 more good reasons to do it !!

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

All FJ180V's have full pressure lube oil filter or no oil filter.

Hmmm, Here is the recommended oil change interval;

[​IMG]

Changing at 50 hrs. is half the recommended......

8. Exact Rototilling

Mowers, tillers etc. run the greatest risk to contamination in the oil from crud getting knocked into the dip stick holder. I'm a total clean freak about keeping mine clean. I go nuts with ritual wiping, WD40 on Q-tip etc. The other area is crud getting past the air filter. Again I'm a clean-room nut about getting the best possible seal. I use the motorcycle super tacky stuff on foam filters etc.

I also change my oil well under 50 hour mark. And I also flush my tillers and mowers with cheapie dino oil of any flavor and run for a few minutes to get the extra junk out.

Will I benefit from a spin on filter? Yes - but it's tough to say by how much. I also add magnets to the out side of the oil filter with a dab of silicone to help trap any ferrous metal debris. Yes I also have an oil filter cutter.

Looks like I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to check on the price of it.

9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Even better!
    Change oil every 200 hrs! (gotta love those filters...)
    I should have looked at the manual though...

10. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my 2cents, I've never seen so many different problems with one style engine, so forget adding an oil filter, keep what ya got clean and I guarantee the top of the motor case will start leaking oil first