NEW Kawi 25 fouls plugs in 1 hour

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

HELP!

I just bought a Gravely 260Z 25HP Kawi. It has 12 hours and is on its 3rd set of plugs.

It runs very rich and sputters, thought the choke is wide open.

The dealer only wants to keep replacing plugs.

It has also blackened the oil in 5 hours.

Ken

2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you need a new dealer!!! Was the carb adjusted yet? Seems as though it needs to be leaned out. Ask them why they dont make adjustments to the carb?

3. Albemarle Lawn

That is what the dealer says.

I actually bought the machine "used" from a homeowner who bought too much mower.

My dealer has been great for three years now, I wonder if its because I didn't buy it from them.

The dealer sold it new to the homeowner in late July, and the dealer admits to having cannibalized the original carb to put on a machine in for service, then they ordered a new carb for mine and replaced it.

I'm thinking they have a double gasket in there somewhere or the carb itself is lame.

Hmmm?

Ken

4. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Well im not too familiar with that carb, but if its nearly non adjustablew than your only option is to replace the carb. I had a problem similiar to that before with my echo split boom, non-adjustable carb and it ran real bad, they couldnt adjust it so they had to replace the carb now it runs good. Its much smaller than yours but same principal. Sounds like a new carb is needed to me.

5. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

good luck trying to get Kaw to replace the carb. THis is why people like Kohler, they have no problem replacing anything. When it comes to Kaw, they are never at fault!!

6. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Checked the air filter lately? It can be plugged and still look clean. If it were plugged you'd be replacing plugs as much as you are talking about.

7. Tony

Tony LawnSite Member

Ken, I'm not familar with the choke system on your machine but this week I talked with a manufacturer who uses this engine and he told me they were having problems just like you. What they have found out as the problem may or may not be your problem on your machine but you can check it. Their throttle and choke were on the same lever and when you choked the machine and it started you would push the lever back off choke but the choke would not completely come off unless you pushed the throttle lever all the way back to idle and then pushed it back up to full speed again. This company told me they were going to put a separate choke lever on their unit to eliminate this problem. This unit I was trying was the first time that I had really tested the 25 HP Kawi and I love the power while going 15 MPH. WOW

Tony

8. Albemarle Lawn

Dealer replaced carb two weeks ago. Everything was fine and now all the sudden it starts backfiring and sputtering, like before but even worse.

Well, its back at the dealer.

Ken

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Don't feel bad, I had to replace the carb on my old Kohler after 3,600 hours too. ;)

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

they should not even put gas engines above 18 HP in lawn mowers. Diesel is the only way to go. 1/2 the fuel burned, No carb work, No spark plugs, 3 to 4 times the length between oil changes, more lugging power, less pollution.