New Kawi KBL26A trimmer "stalling"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnBrother, May 28, 2006.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Ok, I need some input. I just bought a Kawisaki KBL26A trimmer about 3 weeks ago. It is a good trimmer except it "stalls" at low rpm. It idles fine, but if I try to hold the throttle low it just stalls out, but if I give it more gas it is fine. At first I thought it was new so it would run better after a few tanks, but is still doing it. It's really aggravating, but other than that it runs great. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

2. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Take it back to the dealer.

It's new and under warranty!

3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

If I am not mistaken, the "26" model trimmers are the ONLY ones approved in California. Therefore, too many emission regulations. My Kawasaki "27" runs wide open - NO problems.......:usflag:

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

WELCOME TO THE CLUB. My three 26A's are now three years old and they still do that sometimes. Kawasakis are very hard to start and keep running until they are hot. And even after they have been laid down for a few minutes, they have to be choked again to start even if they feel hot to the touch.

I was told by Kawasaki that the reason is because they are tuned very lean for emmission compliance. To me, the short answer is they need more fuel. I have considered trying to drill out the main jet in the carb. I haven't had the time lately so I haven't even looked inside to see if it is even possible.

I'd rather have them run a bit rich and be easier to start. I will not buy another Kawasaki product because of this.

I am switching over to Tanaka. They start EASY and run like they are hot right from the moment they first fire. Something is different... way different.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

huskys also run great from a cold start. if several diff. makers can make thiers do this-they all should

6. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

IMO, Kawasaki trimmers are the best out there for weight vs. power. I have a KBL23A, KBL26A, and a new KGT27A, along with a KEL26A edger. ALL always start by the 2nd pull cold and 1st pull warm.

As far as the 26A "stumbling" just off idle, the dealer needs to look at it. Just stay on him until it gets fixed. None of mine do it.

7. LawnBrother

from SW Ohio

Thanks for the replies. I don't know how much of a difference there is, but mine is actually a 27A, not a 26A, my mistake. At any rate, I think it is going back to the dealer for a check up.........
    I'll let everyone know what the problem is.

8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

9. LawnBrother

from SW Ohio

Well, last week I FINALLY heard something from these idiots about my Kawi trimmer. The guy basically told me there was nothing wrong with it, to which I replied, NO, there IS something wrong with it, that's why I brought it in. After 10 minutes on the phone with this jackass and him giving me several different excuses, he told me that the mechanic was able to reproduce the problem but that it could not be fixed because that was just "the way this trimmer runs". What a bunch of crap! I told him I wanted a replacement, then. He then said that the trimmer was fine and that I must not be using it properly! I couldn't believe this moron was telling me I don't know how to use a trimmer. NOW I was really pissed, and after a few choice insults from me, I told him I wanted to speak with his boss. I was put on hold and when he (not his boss, wonder why?) got back on the line he said to come in and they would refund my money, which was fine with me! I immediately went to another dealer and bought a Stihl KM 110 with string trimmer and hedge trimmer attatchments, and I LOVE it. This thing is way better than the kawi and much more powerful and versatile. I should have bought that one in the beginning.
    Sorry I couldn't come back with an actual REASON why the kawi acted the way it did (I would have liked to know too), and aside from the problem it had, it was light and powerful and I liked it, I just wanted it to run right. I think I am done with the kawis, although it was probably the dealer's fault that it was not repaired, it ran bad from day one and this whole experience just left a bad taste in my mouth. I am sure Kawi makes some other good equipment and their larger engines are great, but my next handheld anything will be a Stihl.

10. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a dealer prob of him not knowing how to fix it , i just bought a kawi trimmer after and still having echos for years and now i cant stand to hardly use the echo, kawi is a far better trimmer hands down and much lighter also