New Kichler Catalog

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by LightYourNight, Mar 9, 2009.

1. LightYourNight

LightYourNight LawnSite Member

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Me too, I'm trying to switch my focus to mostly LED in 2009.

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I finished my first 100% LED fixture job just before I left and got here in Indy. I have to say, I was incredibly impressed with the output and color but the housings leave a great deal to be desired. Hopefully their engineer will listen to input from contractors and modify them a bit. I am really waiting for the day when we have a direct LED replacement for the MRs with the right color and lifespan. That will truly be revolutionary.

4. bmwsmity

bmwsmity LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Ohio

I agree the housings still need some help (at least they make a long cowl for them now)...the biggest PITA about them is how hard it is to loosen the set screw to adjust the angle in the dark.

I'm really stoked about finally having LED path lights - I had totally stopped selling Kichler paths because so many used the crappy wedge bulbs.

The new LED well lights probably fix the aforementioned issues...so I'm interested to see them!

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

And how about how that metal set screw manages to gouge the nylon ball'n'socket do-dad that is supposed to pass for a decent mount? How is that fixture supposed to maintain its aim when installed in the real world? The stake/ball mount assembly is competely lame.

Then there is the glare, my g-d the glare! That little accessory shroud barely makes a dent in cutting the angle between source and viewer.

Then there are those silly remotely driven 'deck lights'. Is there a more ugly fixture on earth? Do they really expect that people will want that mess of black fixture and wire hanging from beneath the rail of a deck? Not on my home, and not on any home of any of my clients.

Those K-ler LED fixtures need a full re-work in my opinion. The designer/engineers on that project have put function over form. The light output is good but the form, fit & finish of those fixtures is atrocious.

Just my .02 - don't be too harsh on me.

6. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Thats the difference between Fixture manufacturers and System Manufacturers with real field testing and R&D!!

7. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

It sure is interesting how some manufacturers and distributors of other products don't mind talking negatively about other manufacturers in a public forum but heaven forbid a manufacturer talk about another manufacturer to their own distributors in private.

I guess it's all in the way you look at it, huh??? You have a replacement LED lamp that you want to sell so why not slam an LED fixture made by a company that is in competition. Create a V "system" to compete with LED and then speak poorly about a manufacturer who takes a different approach to LED.

Just an observation :confused:

8. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

No one spoke negatively, just made a general comment regarding Fixture manufacturers and System manufacturers which appears to be very true. Dont sugar coat what they did and make it seem as if Kichler only said something in private to a Distributor. Dont forget that their mass produced letter slandering our 24v system was delivered to me by a Contractor!

As for our own LED, yes we have one and it works pretty good for being a replacement MR16. But I will be the first to tell you that it doesnt even come close when put side by side with a halogen MR16. Halogen is still far superior when it comes to output and lighting design. The Kichler LED is the best on the market when it comes to LED fixtures, make no mistake about it! But there are obvious flaws with the product as James has pointed out, not us or me!

If your comments were directed to James then I apologize for the rebbutal Paul.....

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  9. MAGLIGHTING

MAGLIGHTING LawnSite Member

"Halogen is still far superior when it comes to output and lighting design"- Indeed, And this is from a major manufacturer. :clapping:

10. MAGLIGHTING

MAGLIGHTING LawnSite Member

And some have other quirks like they won't recommend or use products unless the manufacturer is in the same trade association that they are in.

We still are in the US where we have the right to an opinion and free speech. So what's your point? :dizzy: