New Kohler EFI using Oil-Kohler says it's OK

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lazer 46, Aug 15, 2006.

1. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 160 hrs. on a Kohler 28 EFI that I purchase in May. It is on a Lazer Z. After the initial oil change I noticed that I was using oil about every 10 hrs. No smoke and the engine runs great. My Exmark dealer told me to keep track of the amount that I am using so that she can inform Kohler. I put approximately 3 oz. of oil every 15 hrs of use. She called Kohler with that figure and Kohler said that 1 oz per hour of use is acceptable. I cannot believe this. I have a 26EFI that doesnt use a drop. Guess I've bought my last Kohler engine.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't give up on the Kohler's just because of that.

How many RPM is the engine turning? Both of the V-Twin Kohlers I've ever had didn't like being run much over 3600 RPM. At 3600 and below they don't use a drop of oil. Above 3600 they start using oil and I've had head gasket problems above 3700 RPM. My old engine was a 25 and I currently have a 28 EFI.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

When I WORK my 28 hard, it uses a bit. When it's just mowing easy, it doesn't.

If yours is on a TRITON deck, it's always going to be "WORKING". With all this years crabgrass, this keeps them "WORKING" as well.

Plus, I feel that at 160hrs we may not be fully broken in?
  4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

What oil are you using? It looks like Kohler is saying 10W30 these days. I would try running straight 30 weight and see if the problem is still there. I have had a few customers with generators that were running 5W30 or 10W30 and had some consumption issues...I switch them to straight 30 and it either vastly reduces it or eliminates it completely.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you can run 30 weight under warranty and I don't think Kohler reccomends doing this due to the design of the newer engines. I'm not positive.
  6. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it is the Triton Deck. They actually increased the RPM's just recently because of a not so great cut. it didn't help. I'm using 10-30 which is what is recommended.
  7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a new 25 Kawi that does the same thing.
  8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Is 160 hrs even broken in? I can't believe A new engine would use that much oil. I have engines that are 20 years old and use less than that. Thats crazy that kohler says this is alright.
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I was told once also by Kohler that it is common to use oil during the break in.
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

under no circumstance should you use 30 wt in a koller use only 10-30w . it has to due to the hydro lifters. my koler 26hp dosnt like to be run at high rpm either. i get lifter noise if i do