1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Kohler lifter problems...?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Simone Lawn Service, May 2, 2004.

1. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have a new 04' Lazer 60" with the 27hp Kohler. (Which by the way is AWESOME!) But, wanted to know if you at Exmark have heard of any problems with lifter noise? I only have about 40hours on the engine, and after mowing I always let it idle for a few minutes to cool down before shutting it off. At this time I get a pretty noticable tick (no performance problems) It sounded like lifters to me, and of course I couldn't get it to happen when I stopped by my local dealer. They said they were sure it was the lifters and would gladly order a set and install them-just wanted to know if you could give me any insight to the problem or let me know of any other cases of this.

Thank you very much, Rick
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

About once every 2 months the 18hp kohler on our Lazer Z hp will tick for a couple minutes. Its nothing to worry about. Just use it and it will go away. I have noticed that when we use the Kohler commend oil it happens alot less often. Try the kohler command oil. Also everything is still breaking in. After 10 hours of use change the oil and filter then again after another 100 hours. Ours now has 1,400 hours on it in 3 years and runs like a champ.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I haven't heard many lifter issues with the KoehlerÂ’s lately........for quite a while actually. Generally the Kohler lifters like a multi-weight oil such as a 10W30 and they can rattle on straight 30 weight and ProStreet is correct. They really like the Kohler oil. Often simply switching the brand of oil can make a difference. I had an old Truck years ago that had terrible lifter rattle if you used one particular brand of oil. If I ran any other name brand the noise would go away.

Do you recall what brand of oil you used when you performed the 5 hour break-in oil change?

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You can try www.redline.com Its a full synthetic oil and it helped out a 23 kohler tick. I used the 1030.
  5. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I use Valvoline 10w30 with the Kohler brand OEM oil filter. I was thinking about possibly switching over to synthetic at my next oil change. I've heard not to use synthetic until the rings have a chance to seat in-they used to always recommend this when I rode sport bike. I usually change my oil sooner than recommended though-so engine life shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, Rick
  6. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

my 03' 23hp lazer z done the same thing
    it got a new set of lifters at about 55 hrs
    that should fix your problem
  7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I've always heard pretty good things about Valvoline but never used it personally. In all honesty I doubt that this is the cause for the lifter noise. I would recommend taking the mower to the dealer for inspection just as a precaution. Better safe than sorry.......

Switching to synthetic once the engine is broke in won't hurt anything at all. In fact the synthetic oils are pretty good and have some advantages.

8. AirCooled

AirCooled LawnSite Member

I understand Kohler oil uses more anti-foam agents to keep air out of the lifters.