New Kohler Pro 18 Starts Very Hard

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Feb 13, 2006.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I put a rope start CV493T Pro Command Kohler on a WB and this motor is very hard to start. I am running it in shop to get the rings to seat but was wondering if any one else has any experience with this kind of situation. I have had to use Sure Start in Carb to start. I have tried different plugs and different gaps. I took the carb off and took it apart and didn't see any debris or anything unusual. I am not sure if it is a valve or ring situation. I plan to take the unit in pretty soon since there is no way we can live with a hard starting unit in closed trailer.

2. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

SureStart? What's that? Sounds like starting fluid. If so, bad idea. Use carb cleaner instead. Will do less damage to the engine.

Generally, I would suspect some type of problem with fuel getting to the carb. Or it could even be the fuel itself. Kinked line? Bad pump? If the machine has sat for any amount of time with any fuel in it, the carb could have some "gum" from sitting...

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This engine is brand new just installed with about 5 hours of time on it. The start fluid is Pyroil starting fluid and it has cyclinder lubicant in it so I figure it is better than carb cleaner. No kinks fuel flows easily when I remove carb bowl. Any other ideas?

4. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Take the air filter off and look at the choke plate. If it is not totally shut, the linkage is out of adjustment. It should pull the plate shut and keep it shut while pulling the engine over.

5. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

Pyroil. I'll have to find me a can of that.. Sounds safe enough.

I would agree with Jman about checking the choke plate. That could be the issue with it being so new...

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

hard starting or hard pulling? those kohlers got a lot of compression. i would never try to pull start a kohler 18.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Hard starting.....so what do you think it would cost to put a starter on this WB....$500? Choke plate is definitely closed.

8. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

What is the speck number on the engine. Cost of electric start varies (depends if the flywheel has the ring gear on it and magnets on the bottom side for the charging system coil). I'll give you a rough idea once I see the spec number.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks JMAN
    The spec is 27524...the ring gear is on don'tknow how to tell about the coil for charging. I can't tell if I will need a new shroud.

10. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

That engine has the proper flywheel and stator (charging coil) under the flywheel. You will have to remove the rectifier(it is un-regulated) and add a 41 403 09-S rectifier/regulator. You will also need starter number 12 098 22-S. You will need a remote solenoid, battery and cables and an appropriate switch. The two Kohler parts listed will run around $170. Hope this helps.