New Kubota diesel and fuel additive ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by groundpounder_900, Apr 4, 2008.

1. groundpounder_900

groundpounder_900 LawnSite Member

I just took delivery of a new Kubota BX2350. My dealer said the diesels are now designed to run with the ultra low sulpher diesel fuel. Are there any good/bad points if I do run an additive ?

2. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

You will get alot of different opinions on this. personally I run Schaeffers diesel fuel additives in my B2630 Kubota. I am looking at getting an 997 Deere zero turn at the end of this month and I will put it in that also.

3. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I have a L5030 with 700 hours on it and a L5740 with 300 hours on it. I have never used any additives in them and never had a problem. I guess only time will tell if I have should be using additives but so far so good.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

You can get better fuel economy with additives, but the cost of the additives usually offsets the fuel savings by far. If it were me, I might run an additive every few tanks just for cleaning/additional lubricity. Other than that, I personally view it as a waste. YMMV....

5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Don't waste your money, most actually lower the lubricity. Any good fuel distributor has an additive package already added. The best thing for lubricity is 2-5% biodiesel if you can find it, if not just run regular, but change your filters often.

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Fuel injector pump lubrication? Unless you know what type of fuel injector pump is on your diesel engine I would use a diesel fuel lubricant, not injector cleaner. The Bosch VP-44 fuel injector pump is totally fuel lubricated, and widely used on agriculture diesel engines. The newer Bosch CP3 common rail fuel injector pump does not require fuel lubrication; however a diesel fuel system to include injectors can develop rust & corrosion with ULSD.

7. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I like the name nosparkplugs. With a name like that this dude is bound to have a wealth of diesel knowledge.

8. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think I would run any additive in an engine that was designed for ULSD, unless like tb8100 said, maybe an injector cleaner or something every few tanks. I have a 99 Dodge with that Bosch pump and I add Marvel Mystery Oil to my fuel almost every tank. I've heard too many stories about guys running ULSD and the VP44 not getting lubricated...$$$! I filled up today with B20, so I didn't add any Marvel. We'll see how that does.

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The current ULSD wear scar standard as set with heavy influence buy the oil companies is a maximum ware scar of 520 micrometers. Ironically Bosch does not agree with the higher 520 wear scar, and recommends, a maximum 460 micrometer wear scar? the European ULSD standard.

ASTM D975 ULSD lubricity standard, as set buy the oil companies, still no conclusive data on the wear scar

Lubricity. Regardless of the fuel sulfur level, ASTM D975 currently requires
    lubricity specified as a maximum wear scar diameter of 520 micrometers using the HFRR test
    method (ASTM D6079) at a temperature of 60°C. Based on testing conducted on ULSD fuels,
    however, fuel injection equipment manufacturers have required that ULSD fuels have a
    maximum wear scar diameter of 460 micrometers. EMA recommends that the lubricity
    specification be consistent with the fuel injection equipment manufacturersÂ’ recommendation.