NEW KUBOTA EXCAVATOR 9 ton

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by start2finish, Jan 15, 2007.

1. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

well I stopped by my dealer today and got a brochure on the new excavator hopefully arriving in March

some specs
    KX 080-3
    engine
    kubota v3800DI 64.1 hp
    230 cu in
    breakout force, bucket(14,660 lb) arm (8554 lb)

reach at ground level 23'6.3''
    loading height 17'2.7''
    digging depth 15'1.1''

operating weight rubber/steel tracks 18254/18364

this one looks like a great one.

2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

I went back and read this one and it was not clear, we have not bought one, but the machine is supposed to be available in March. I thought this would spark more interest than this. BUMP

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

These 80 size machines are a bit of an oddity I think. I pondered one but at that weight they are difficult to transport, not really big enough for digging foundations yet too big for some of the smaller excavation jobs. Rock Set has one and they would work well for specialized applications such as setting rock but for general use how do you recover your 80-90K investment on a new machine? The extra capacity over a 10K machine would be nice but that is a lot of money for an excavator unless you have a good paying niche market. IMHO. I say all that and yet there must be a market for them since everyone (OEM) has one out. I think if there is a place for new size machine, give me a 14-15K machine. IHI is the only one that makes a machine in this weight class. I think the gap between the 10k and 16-18K machines is too wide. TK makes the TB153 which is 12.5K but I would like a little more weight if I could spec the perfect machine.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

There a couple Komatsu PC80's in my area. I've seen them most often used for utility/sewer work in intersections etc, where they need the dig depth but need to clear under traffic lights.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I think that size will be popular around here the EX-60 Zaxis 80 PC-75 are commonly used in my area it is what we call a mini. They are used for doing the smaller jobs where a 160 size machine won't go.

Its about time there has is some other options beside uhg Komatsu.

Any pictures ?

6. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

I must say that the picture I saw of the 080-3 is for lack of better term, ********. It looks VERY odd, and the white cab is horrible looking. Not sure if that's just a European thing since it seems to be on Kubota's overseas websites and not the U.S. website. It'll be interesting to see the machine more once they start to unvail it.

7. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's the pic...

NASTY.jpg

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

From that picture the machine does look a little odd the boom seems to be massive compared to the machine.

9. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

They're at my dealer already, about $80k. Look like a big machine, but like stated before, to big to landscaping, to small for foundations...

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

As for the size of the machine...it is an oddity and with that comes some real challenges. You can't tow it behind a pick-up, so you have added expense having a larger rig to tow with. Also, try and fit a 18-20k machine on a trailer with a skid and the problem compounds for regular type jobs. Having that sized machine, you better know your target market. I am the only one here in this valley with that sized machine, as far as I know. I have been fortunate, as this machine fills a needed gap and I have been in demand.......it is a perfect sized machine for me...anything smaller would not perform and anything larger could not access the work areas. Once again, with that sized machine, you better know your target market real well or you will end up sitting in the yard wondering why you don't have any work. My stick and boom look about the same, and if you think you can swing that thing around a backyard like a "mini" be prepared to buy the neighbors fence or replace soffits/overhangs on the homes you are working on. Just some cautionary thoughts from a guy who runs one.....