New kubota

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Son69, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Son69

Son69 LawnSite Member

Looking to pick up a compact tractor/backhoe. I have a fair amount of clearing to do 16" and smaller trees and some small(i think) rocks to remove. I also have a small part time lawn buisness and would like to grow that. Is a good tractor worth the investment, and can part time work be profitable. How big a tractor should i be looking for. I would like to get something that i wouldn't outgrow in a few years. A friend of mine swears by a kubota L48. Thanks in advance....

2. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I have a L 48 and swear by it. They are kind of pricey, especially if bought here in New England,. They are also a good, all around machine to have,.

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 4330 Kubota. This is the 3rd Kubota I have had. I use it around here at my "ranchette", my better-half can use it, and I use it for grading and various other odd jobs for my business. Kubota is a rugged machine and holds it's value when it comes time for resale. I have or have had: back-hoe, grading blades, over-seeder, snow-blower, post augers, 100 gallon boom spray, mowers, and other implements for it that I may be forgetting. The machine has been reliable, low maintenance, and easy to take care of and transport.
    Would I try and clear 16" trees and production clearing of ground with this machine? Nope.....I would, depending on what it looks like, use a skid, a rental back-hoe, track-hoe or maybe even a dozer for that kind of work.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

There is no one tractor for every job! Sometimes you need a small 21 hp to sneak into tight areas & under trees, sometimes you need a big L model to drive a slice seeder on athletic fields. I tried to find a tractor that would give me a balance of both & purchased a kubota B3030 HSDC.

6. Son69

Son69 LawnSite Member

thanks for the insight!!! I guess i'll have to do some more thinking on this one as just about any tractor is going to be a good size purchase. Thanks again!!!

7. Son69

Son69 LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone has a L48 and is using different attachments in place of the backhoe, like a box blade, rake or tiller. Also... if the backhoe is easy or a pain in the a** to remove and put back on.

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

If you purchase any kubota TLB series tractor, keep in mind you do sacrifice serious pto hp, this is the way they are designed.

9. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I hog mow our fields 7 or so times a year and use a "york" rake frequently... Never had problems with my 48..

10. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

imo as far as pto hp for the tlb models being low, i think they are under rated.. when i was thinking about buying a 5 foot harley rake for my b21 alot of people told me not to because the tractor was rated at 13.5 pto hp and the rake required 16-22 pto hp.. well i bought the rake and the tractor runs it perfect, two weeks ago i broke the chain on the rake why the slip clutch didnt stop it from breaking i dont know.. anyways it just reassured me that the tractor is running the rake at sufficient power.. as far as getting the backhoe on and off, it is very quick and simple its takes only a minute or two.. that is if you take it off and on regularly, the backhoe was never taken off before i bought it was a pita to get off the first time..